Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyP1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm a complete newbie and we set our 65 litre (around 17 US gallons) tank up on Friday. Filled with water, switched on filter, heater, light and air stone, treated with aqua safe. I've been adding 2 to 3 fish flakes on a daily basis. The ammonia levels are low, colour looks inbetween 0 and 0.25, nitrates are 0. Is that normal or should ammonia be higher by now? Filter etc is all still switched on, temp of tank is 30 degrees celsius. Am I doing anything wrong or have I missed anything out?

Hi, I'm a complete newbie and we set our 65 litre (around 17 US gallons) tank up on Friday. Filled with water, switched on filter, heater, light and air stone, treated with aqua safe. I've been adding 2 to 3 fish flakes on a daily basis. The ammonia levels are low, colour looks inbetween 0 and 0.25, nitrates are 0. Is that normal or should ammonia be higher by now? Filter etc is all still switched on, temp of tank is 30 degrees celsius. Am I doing anything wrong or have I missed anything out?

Hi Amy. I assume you are trying to cycle your tank which is good. To do a fish less cycle you will need pure ammonia. As this is what is required to start the cycle.

The fish food will be broken down and ammonia will be released but it really isn't enough. The fish food will sink to the bottom and grow fungus.

You will need a liquid test kit to begin with not the test strips as the accuracy if the strips is questionable.

If I were you now I would use a gravel siphon to remove the fish food that has sunken to the bottom. I would then either purchase some pure ammonia from amazon and follow the fish less cycling guide on this forum. Pure ammonia is difficult to source from the UK but you can get it or I would purchase 3-4 small schooling fish that you would like to have in your final setup and cycle using those. For this you will need to follow the fish in cycling guide on this forum.

Someone may link the stickies as I'm still not sure how.

Hope this helps.

I had a 65 litre from pets at home for my original tank. You are kinda limited to what you can have.

Hi Amy. I assume you are trying to cycle your tank which is good. To do a fish less cycle you will need pure ammonia. As this is what is required to start the cycle.

The fish food will be broken down and ammonia will be released but it really isn't enough. The fish food will sink to the bottom and grow fungus.

You will need a liquid test kit to begin with not the test strips as the accuracy if the strips is questionable.

If I were you now I would use a gravel siphon to remove the fish food that has sunken to the bottom. I would then either purchase some pure ammonia from amazon and follow the fish less cycling guide on this forum. Pure ammonia is difficult to source from the UK but you can get it or I would purchase 3-4 small schooling fish that you would like to have in your final setup and cycle using those. For this you will need to follow the fish in cycling guide on this forum.

Someone may link the stickies as I'm still not sure how.

Hope this helps.

I had a 65 litre from pets at home for my original tank. You are kinda limited to what you can have.

Whoops didn't mean to finish the post there.

I would suggest maybe 3-4 harlequin rasbora to start with if you decide to go with the fish in cycle.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm already using the liquid test kit so ita good to hear that's the best thing to use. And yes, sorry I should have stated I'm trying to cycle my tank. I couldn't get hold of any ammonia and had read about people successfully cycling with fish food so thought I'd give that a try. I really don't want to cycle with fish so I will have another search for ammonia.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm already using the liquid test kit so ita good to hear that's the best thing to use. And yes, sorry I should have stated I'm trying to cycle my tank. I couldn't get hold of any ammonia and had read about people successfully cycling with fish food so thought I'd give that a try. I really don't want to cycle with fish so I will have another search for ammonia.

Ok that's your choice and is completely fine. The other way you can do it is buy putting a raw prawn or shrimp in a fine mesh bag and just leave it in there for a few weeks. Then test. The quantity of beneficial bacteria that you will build up is unknown however. Therefore you will still need to stock slowly and lightly when adding fish after the cycle.

Remember although fishless cycling is better as your not potentially harming them, it will still take time. Patience is so important in this hobby. Be prepared to wait maybe 4-6 weeks for the cycle to complete

Thanks, I was expecting it to take a few weeks, I just wasn't sure how long each individual stage would take, I thought the ammonia built up quickly and that it was the next stages that took the longest. I was only basing my assumptions on things I've read though, I have never had a tank before. So is it normal for ammonia levels to still be pretty much non existent after 3 days of feeding the tank?

Theres no set time for each stage. Every tank is different. I think the first set of bacteria establish themselves quicker than the second set though. Fish food really gives off very little tbh. Like the guy said before, your better off just removing it and finding pure ammonia. I used the fish in method on my very first tank. I had very little patience but have learnt to develop it. I had to test my water daily and do 50% water changes when water parameters we're bad for fish. I probably did this for about a month but my fish made it through ok. Been up and running like 7months now :)

I'm pretty good at being patient as long as I know I'm going along the right path. I will try and find some ammonia. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom