Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgrattan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I upgraded to a 75 gal tank on 6/6/14. I used all the decorations and filter media from my old tank. On 6/19/14 I added the 4 fish from my old tank, and test the water daily. My ammonia level is 0. NitrITES are 0. NitrATES are up to 5.0 and the pH runs between a 6.8 and 7.0 I am now getting a brown algae on the gravel and decorations. I never saw and ammonia spike?! Could it have done this sometime between the 13 days it was up and running before I added my fish, and could it be cycled already? My old tank was set up 8 years ago, I really don't remember the particulars of the cycle...

Fish In Tank Cycling

I upgraded to a 75 gal tank on 6/6/14. I used all the decorations and filter media from my old tank. On 6/19/14 I added the 4 fish from my old tank, and test the water daily. My ammonia level is 0. NitrITES are 0. NitrATES are up to 5.0 and the pH runs between a 6.8 and 7.0 I am now getting a brown algae on the gravel and decorations. I never saw and ammonia spike?! Could it have done this sometime between the 13 days it was up and running before I added my fish, and could it be cycled already? My old tank was set up 8 years ago, I really don't remember the particulars of the cycle...

Hello tg...

75 gallons is a lot of water and will easily dilute the ammonia from the waste of a few fish. To properly cycle a tank with fish, you need 3 to 4 small to medium sized fish for every 10 gallons of water. Your tank will need at least 28 to 30 fish to start the cycle. You need hardy fish like Guppies, Rasboras, Platys, Danios, Swordtails, Barbs, etc. These will tolerate less than perfect water conditions that happen during the nitrogen cycle.

I'd add some floating plants like Hornwort to keep the nitrogen from the fish waste down a bit.

You test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, change 25 percent and replace it with pure, treated tap water. When several daily tests show no traces of the above toxins, the tank is cycled. After that, you change half the water every couple of weeks to maintain safe water conditions.

B

Well, it looks like your tank is already cycled since you're using the filter which contains all the filter media.

The brown algae comes from excess silicates in the water. They are called diatoms and are just one of the growing pains a new aquarium goes through. Just scrape them off with an algae scraper and they will eventually go away on their own.

Thanks for the advise everyone...this board is great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom