Cycling Questions- Of couse!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to this FW aquarium thing, so I've already learned some things I'll do different with my next tank. I've had my tank for a week now, with several fish in it (next time I'm going to try fishless cycling), and my ammonia is at 1.5 ppm and nitrites are 0. So I figure that it will be a while yet before the cycle is finished and the tank is ready for a few more fish. How often should I check the water, does it change fast enough that I should be checking every day? Also I've done one water change (10%), three days ago, should I do another one now since the ammonia is kinda high? Also, I read a thread about putting a sponge filter in the tank so that it will be seeded with bacteria so I can set up a QT tank. Can someone tell me more about sponge filters?

Thanks!!

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA Petunia!.

Take it from someone who is doing exactly what you are doing. I test every 3 days for big four (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph). I change 20% water weekly. If you can get a hold of media from a cycled tank that's great! You would still have to test to ensure that tank is cycled. The most common result of a cycled tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a small trace of nitrate (other members can give exact #).

New to area so I don't know anyone with a tank, but the advice is great. I have an AquaClear 30 with foam filter, carbon bag, and biofilter bag. I am noticing that in these filters (especially around the edges) there is brown "dirty looking stuff". Is this because the filters are dirty (they've only been in there a week) or is this a result of the "good" bacteria I'm looking for?

I have some questions too...
My 30 gallon has been running for 2 months now. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 2.0 and Nitrate is 0. The Nitrite has been at 2.0 for weeks and I have been doing water changes. I just did a 1/3 change Monday night and tested today- there was no change! Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Ian_0969:
Are you doing a fishless cycle? If so I'd advise against doing water changes until the tank is cycled. I have a 55g as well that just finished cycling. Without adding biospira or media from an established tank it took me five weeks to completely cycle. I only added a little water to keep up with evaporation. As there are no fish in the tank--assuming you're fishless cycling--you needn't worry about high levels of nh3 or no2 being bad for the tank.

Did you test and record an increase, then sudden drop in ammonia?

My 30 gallon has been running for 2 months now. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 2.0 and Nitrate is 0.

It sounds like your tank is not cycled yet. You are cycling with a lot of fish in that 30 gallon, which IMO, is realy slowing down your cycling process.

Since you have a NitrIte reading that means your bacteria is present and is trying to convert the NitrItes to NitrAtes. And until your Ammonia and NitrItes zero out at the same time and you get a NitrAte reading, you are not done cycling.

I would suggest you continue testing and doing water changes as necessary. Your almost there.

Gypsybill,

I am doing a fishless cycle of my 55 gallon, and have moved an old filter from my 30 into it. I have also started planting amazon sword and a couple of others I can't remember the names to.

FawnN,

Thanks, we just followed what the LFS was telling us....
After the first week everything looked good- we added the danios
A month later started adding fish every weekend.
The NitrItes have stayed 2.0 all along, the ammonia - zilch. My ph is 7.6

Thanks, we just followed what the LFS was telling us....

I totally understand about that.

For now, just make sure you test often and monitor your fish. Make sure you don't overfeed and keep up with your necessary water changes.

Since you have a nitrite reading, I know you had an ammonia reading at some point. Typically after you get a nitrite spike, it will be another week before that levels off and zeros out and you should get a nitrate reading.

Well,

My 30 Gallon FW final cycled! On Saturday I did a 50% pwc and tested, but there was minimal change. Today, however- my Nh3 is 0, my No2 is 0 and my No3 is 5.

On another note: My 55 Gallon FW that I setup on Dec 4th has already cycled!
I used the Fishless Cycling Revisited article (http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.htm)
I setup the tank, planted Amazon Sword and Anachris. I added the old filter from the 30 Gallon and some ornaments, purchased Bact- Seed F and Bact-Feed F and added these per the instructions. I let the tank run for a little over a week.
I purchased Sea Mist Clear Ammonia at Wal-Mart and added 1 capful on the 12th.
This caused my No2 to spike to 1.0
I then added 1/2 capful each day- also doing water tests every day.
By the night of the 14th the tank had cycled with Nh3=0 No2=0 No3=10
and has remained so every day thus far.

Saturday will be a trip to the LFS :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom