Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amorgan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Kind of dumb question here. I was reading about cycling tanks and they all recommend upwards of 3 days of cycling (lowest I’ve seen is 48 hours but some recommend 6 weeks). However I was just wondering, if I use API Stress Coat which removes chlorine and harmful chemicals plus API Quick start which adds bacteria and starts the nitrogen cycle do I still need to cycle the tank for as long? My old tanks filter is dying so I would rather get the fish into the new tank sooner rather than later.

If you don't have seeded media containing beneficial bacteria then your cycle takes more like 6-8 weeks.

If you don't have seeded media containing beneficial bacteria then your cycle takes more like 6-8 weeks.

The API quick start has live bacteria in it? Is that not the same as having an old filter media in the tank?

https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=618#.XCyY2Hd_XDs

Hello Am...

If you want to instantly cycle the tank, go to the local fish store and ask them for a little used filter material or a scoop of bottom material from one of their tanks. Just add it to your tank and you can add a few, small fish right away. Just test the water in the new tank daily for a while to make sure the bacteria in the media or gravel you got from the store is working.

B

You could take all or a portion of the filter media from the old filter and put it into the new filter (space permitting).

Back
Top Bottom