Cycling this tank is driving me nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caroline79

Aquarium Advice Regular
From the water mold ,oil ,copepods and now somekind of worms floating around tank ! What are these worms? Should I start the cycle all over again?? I did 50 percent w/c last night and took out about ten worms!

I am trying to get a photo . They look like White bits of fish poop , but they wiggle and are small about half cm. Heres a photo off otto do you think it's came from it?

image-1815044471.jpg

I don't know, maybe he had some internal parasites? Somebody else will have to chime in because I don't have any experience with what you have mentioned. I will try to do some research in the meantime.

librarygirl said:
Can't tell from the pic but it sounds like Planaria. Are these what they look like? Aquarium FD - Planaria Small Hair like White Worms - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment If so it's usually from over feeding. Also what's the red spot on the Otto? Looks like some type of burn? What are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

Yeah I think that's what they are . So there not bad for the fish ? There is no food in the tank the ottos dont eat it.The
otto I don't know what that is but it went away a few days later.3 out of 4 off them died . My ammo is now 0 and nrite looks like it's going down now. I have only had test kit since 15 dec. Tank was up and runing a month before with no fish. Here's yesterday nrite test it looks lighter in colour.

image-1731156751.jpg

And This was on 21 dec

image-2361388611.jpg

After water change test results . On the left is yesterday's , middle was earlier today and right is just done ! Do u think it's nearly at 0 ?

image-561958922.jpg

Last otto died, nitrites now at 0 after 2 40% wc. I think it must have been to much for the little guy but I got most off those worms !

Otos are very sensitive and require established tanks. They are not hardy enough to go through cycling process.

I would suggest that once your tank is cycled, you start over with a less sensitive species.

If that was the last fish in the tank, be sure to add a source of ammonia until you are 100% cycled.

LyndaB said:
Otos are very sensitive and require established tanks. They are not hardy enough to go through cycling process.

I would suggest that once your tank is cycled, you start over with a less sensitive species.

If that was the last fish in the tank, be sure to add a source of ammonia until you are 100% cycled.

My partner was told to get them by the fish shop . It was not what I sent him for but that's pets @ home for u! plus they only eat algae which there's none in a new tank! Poor little guy!

Actually, they will also eat spirulina flakes and algae wafers, but they will do so as an absolute last resort.

I had worms like that once... Read somewhere it was larvae from flies. Read somewhere it was associated w overfeading... Which wasn't the case for me. Either way.. Nvr caused me problem. But idk for sure.

Back
Top Bottom