Cycling using fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelleygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok heres whats happening, I've attached a seeded canister filter to my tank and did all my test the other day. Results are
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Todays test results are
pH: 8
Ammonia: 0

I use fish food as a source of ammonia and I use the API test kits.
With these results does this mean that the tank cycle is complete?

I agree with FF.
How long have you been cycling the tank? Even with seed media and a bigger ammonia source (ie, raw shrimp or pure ammonia), you'd still see a cycle of more than a few days.

How big is the tank? Either way, I would ditch the fish food method and use a raw shrimp instead.

Its approx. 35 gals, I've been cycling for about a week now adding fish food once evey day. I expected a nitrite spike but nothing has happened, no ammonia and no nitrite. Could it be that maybe I'm not adding enough food?

If I add water from an established tank would that do anything?

No, the majority of the bacteria in your tank is not found free-floating in the water column, so it won't do much good to use old tank water. I agree that you should just drop a raw shrimp in there, sit back, and let 'er rip. With your seeded filter, it shouldn't take long.

I think it'd be better if you got a source of ammonia. While the typical cycle will show a nitrIte spike typically where you would be at, I believe that it has a lot to do with the quality and the amount of the seed material you utilized. I think that it is possible that you have completed your "cycle".

Continue to feed the bacteria in one form or another consistently until you get fish, however. But I'd recommed getting some pure ammonia from Ace hardware, and dosing some in and seeing what happens.

JMO

I just don't know how people can handle this method. I didn't try the shrimp because I found the ACE hardware stuff, and it's clear and simple and easy and clean. But WHEW... using the fish food was the messiest smelliest attempt I made. I gave up after a week and I never had a big enough show of ammonia anyway, and just cloudy nasty sick decomposing water. *lol*

At least with a shrimp if you do the containment method, you can pull most of it out... with fish food your only option is really slow and thorough water changes. It apparently smells something awful though. ACE Janitorial Strength is something like $1.29, keeps the tank clear and clean and no odors.

EDIT:

There's no getting around it - a cycled tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and presents some type of nitrAtes unless a lot of nutrient thirsty plants. The presence of ammonia shows that you still have some time to go.

I agree with Julie, there is no way around it unless you have plants in the tank that are eating up the Nitrates.

Oh sorry guys I do have plants in the tank!
I know alot of people recommend using pure ammonia without a problem but I'm a little hesitant with adding chemicals into my tank, besides the ACE brand is not available in Australia. I'll probably pop in a shrimp.

From previous experiences my smaller tank (50litres) cycled within 3 days! There was no nitrite spike but there was nitrate. Is this odd? Most post i've read on cycling the tank takes at lease a month. I'm probably doing something wrong and I suspect its at the ammonia part.

Cycling with plants is a different story. If you have lots of fast growing plants you may not see a spike--or really even a cycle (they take up both ammonia and nitrites). Lots of planted tanks even need nitrite added to the tank for the plants. Many people who have planted tanks will start with a few fish as their ammonia source. But you do have to have lots of plants that are growing well for this to work. I've never tried to use fish food as the ammonia source, so I'll let other's chime in on that aspect.

If it helps, my plants are pretty fast growing, I've currently got vals in there and am getting some anubias and ferns in there this weekend. The vals grow at lease 2 cm taller everyday. I've also got some elodea (which aren't staying) in there too and they seem alittle greener and bushier at the moment.

I'd add the shrimp.If you test positive for ammonia after a few days pull it out.

Then keep testing.

If it all falls back to zero,I would call it all good...esp with a seeded filter.

JMHO...but the fish are gonna offer less ammonia then the shrimp as it is...no down side to adding fish if you do the above.

Frankly,I think your ok to add a few fish now...but better safe the sorry in this case...cycling with fish is a hassle.

I've added the prawn. Now what?

As suggested by a few people I've added the raw prawn into my tank over 3 days ago. Upon testing the water today expecting to see an ammonia spike the results were
Ammonia: 0
Whats going on??? Am I cycled???
Thinking it may be the test kit I checked with the LFS and its definatly a new API test kit so the solutions aren't old.
I now have 4 large anubias in the tank with a crypt, e. tennelus. small java ferns and a few vals.
Could it be that the plants are absorbing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? (Silent cycling I think they call it?)
Another thing I should mention if its any use was that the water became alittle cloudy for 2 days after I pop the prawn but today it looks pretty clear.

You have no fish in the tank but have plants? That is the reason you do not have a nitrate reading, the plants are utilizing the nitrate. You have been using the "silent cycle" method, which is not too bad of a method. You are basically chasing your tail by using ammonia sources.

What you can do at this point is slowly start stocking the tank with small fish. The trick here is to ensure that your stocking doesn't overload the bio-filters (plants and filter media) too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom