disapointed newbie!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
You know,Not everybody in the world is a trained fish professional.There are people in this world that expect to get the info they need when buying fish from a petstore.Why would one ever doubt the word of a fish salesman if the person buying the first time aquarium and fish from them did not know the difference.I thought that I had all the info I needed when I started.According to the fish salesman My water and everything I was doing was ok.If I thought for one second that my fish were suffering I would do everything I could to make it right.Now that I have learned the truth from this website,I am doing whatever I can to make my water right for my fish.Some people that have alot of experience with this may think that I am being cruel to my oscars.But,to my defense,I thought that everything was good untill I found aquarium advice.Now that I am trying to do the right thing,some people here are making me feel like I am hurting my fish on purpose by not doing things right in the first place.But,like I said,the local petco told me that my water quality was fine and that I was doing things right.I apologize for not studying this stuff before I started.The petco man said i was fine.For those of you that do not know what I am talking about just read some of my topics.

We have a similar story here. I got the same misinformation from the lfs I first went to for my 30 gal. The only difference was, I lost 90% of the fish I started with within three weeks.

That is how I found AA and found out about cycling, PWC', tank parameters, diseases, etc.

It's truly a shame what people have to endure when given this type of information from lfs, but if you think about it...most chain store employees have no knowledge of the properties of the products offered for sale. Stands to reason that since fishkeeping is way more complicated than hand lotion, these companies would at least try to give their employees some basic knowledge?

I'm lucky in that the first fish store I went to was a LFS that had been around for years. When I wanted to get a certain fish, they always asked me what size my tank is and my water parameters. So, when I wanted to get two angelfish, they wouldn't let me. They told me to bring in the water from my 10 gal and they would test my water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph. As I left the store, they even gave me a sheet about the nitrogen cycle.

But, I know how you feel about Petsmart/Petco :x They have got to be one of the worst fish stores I have ever been to. One time, I asked the person working there if they had any good algae eating fish and he suggested I get a chinese algae eater for my 10 gallon tank. I bought it and soon found out that they can get to be 10" long. So, I went back to the store to return it and I never went back there again.

oh dont feel bad...i think most of the people here started the same way(i know i did)...too many fish and a little tank...the good thing is now you know so you wont do the same thing again...and people around you trying to start with fish will get the best advice from you...so they will skip the talk to the lfs "expert" guy... :mrgreen:

Not all PetCo/PetSmart employees are in it for the paycheck alone. There's this 14 year old kid at my local PetSmart that is VERY knowledgeable and is passionate about the hobby. He even advises people when it's significantly cheaper to buy stuff online! I always make sure he's working that day before swinging by. I've spoken to some of my fellow MD AAers and it sounds like they know about him by name too. Talk to other folks in your region to get a feel for which LFS can be trusted to look beyond the sale.

The most important thing is to learn from your mistakes. You are well on your way to learning and being a responsible fish keeper, after all you found this website :D So now you can learn from all our mistakes as well :mrgreen: Believe me when I say our mistakes. I've made my fair share. So just hang in there.

I couldnt agree more with you there slow!!

Have a good time AA i only joined recently han so far have found it a great help. Some times people say stuff that sounds like its critisising you but they dont mean it there only trying 2 b helpful.

Enjoy yourself! :D

I've actually been feeling a bit of sympathy for you countryboy. I think the snipes posted at you are undeserved. It's tough to put all your faith in the lfs only to discover they don't know or don't care. Like has been said, you aren't the first and you won't be the last. Hang in there! :wink:

BrianNY said:
I've actually been feeling a bit of sympathy for you countryboy. I think the snipes posted at you are undeserved. It's tough to put all your faith in the lfs only to discover they don't know or don't care. Like has been said, you aren't the first and you won't be the last. Hang in there! :wink:
Thank you BrianNY..I was kinda feeling bad about this whole situation.Anyway I Have taken it all in stride and took the best info and put it to use.I am feeling much better now.I think my fish will make it through alright.I am doing everything I can to make it so.Thanks again everybody for your good advice.

my lfs workers contradict themselves. They only told me stuff after the fish is dead.

I was lucky, the LFS asked me what size my tank was and gave me some papers on the nitrogen cycle. They were pretty good with the fish compatibilities too. I found out the owner actually gives a test to people who want to work there. I wish all fish stores worked this way, especially places like pet-smart.

From my experiences with many animals I hardly ever trust those who work at pet stores I Always do my own research. Unless you know them its hard to trust what they say.
I was in the isle at petsmart one day and a lady working there was telling a couple that their Betta would be very happy in anything bigger then the small containers they provide for them. It wouldnt be a good idea to stick him into their 3 gallon.

She really thought she was right. **shakes head**
Even specialty shops for different types of animals Ive run into the same thing. Reading up is always the best way to go and a community like this is a gold for advice!

Back
Top Bottom