Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
Does leaving tank hood open cause ammonia to get to .25?

I'm asking cause my two tanks alwYs read between 0-0.25. The nitrates read 10-20ppm. They are both cycled, but for the love of god, the reading is never at 0. My tap water has a bit of amm. And sometimes I feed a bit sloppy. Ever since summer began, the tanks temp would get hot , 84, so I started leaving the hod open.

Does anyone get slight ammonia readings in their tanks? Only 1betta in each tank, 5 and 10 gal. The female seems to excrete a lot more waste in the 5 gal.
__________________

__________________
shynepo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by shynepo3
I'm asking cause my two tanks alwYs read between 0-0.25. The nitrates read 10-20ppm. They are both cycled, but for the love of god, the reading is never at 0. My tap water has a bit of amm. And sometimes I feed a bit sloppy. Ever since summer began, the tanks temp would get hot , 84, so I started leaving the hod open.

Does anyone get slight ammonia readings in their tanks? Only 1betta in each tank, 5 and 10 gal. The female seems to excrete a lot more waste in the 5 gal.
Sometimes the ammo looks like .25 on the card but if u have ammonia readings in your tap as i do..... U need to use an ammonia neutralizer like the product by aqueon or a product called prime. Hope I helped some
__________________

__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
no, leaving the hood open isnt going to cause an ammonia spike, however a temperature spike can cause a minicycle. I suggest increasing aeration if possible.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
no, leaving the hood open isnt going to cause an ammonia spike, however a temperature spike can cause a minicycle. I suggest increasing aeration if possible.
u mean a bubble wand?

it's a betta tank..so i don't have much movement, except for the filter..it's not that busy either, marina s10 and s15
__________________
shynepo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jcolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shynepo3 View Post
I'm asking cause my two tanks alwYs read between 0-0.25. The nitrates read 10-20ppm. They are both cycled, but for the love of god, the reading is never at 0.
As jetajockey said, leaving your hood open doesn't increase ammo and some extra aeration's always a good thing ... if possible.

In all honestly ... I see nothing wrong with your numbers ... they read like the numbers in my tank. If your fish look happy, aren't gulping for air at the surface, eating ok, color's good, gill look normal and not breathing rapidly .. then your good. If your using the API test master kit, the 0-0.25 color range is hard to read at times.
__________________
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
i just read your ammonia link jetajockey, and i'm not too worried anymore..lol
__________________
shynepo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
As jetajockey said, leaving your hood open doesn't increase ammo and some extra aeration's always a good thing ... if possible.

In all honestly ... I see nothing wrong with your numbers ... they read like the numbers in my tank. If your fish look happy, aren't gulping for air at the surface, eating ok, color's good, gill look normal and not breathing rapidly .. then your good. If your using the API test master kit, the 0-0.25 color range is hard to read at times.

yeah..i think i'm just being paranoid...i keep posting things here in this forum when i see something off, lol...but reading that whole ammonia chart jetajockey did has put me at ease...cause the readings are definiteily not over 0.25...

fish are acting fine too. thanks
__________________
shynepo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
I would still make an effort to rectify the problem that caused the raised ammonia level. Higher temperature water has a lower level of dissolved oxygen in it, so a increase in temperature can hurt the bacteria colony and in turn show elevated ammonia levels.

If you don't have an air pump running on the tank I suggest getting one. It doesn't have to be a bubble wand but it needs to be something to agitate the water.

Using the chart is all well and good, but you have to keep a close eye on your #s because you may be safe today and not tomorrow, unless you can figure out the cause of your issue.
__________________

__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ammonia, hood, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Guide to Ammonia Toxicity jetajockey Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 39 11-16-2011 11:32 AM
Newly cycled tank crash with MAJOR ph drops!!! Newfisher Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 24 07-16-2011 01:53 PM
Saltwater Tank Dream/Journey Hatterz Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 11 07-15-2011 11:40 PM
OMG..pls reply..had a cycled tank, now got ammonia?? shynepo3 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 16 06-28-2011 10:54 AM
Setting up a bichir tank Ryodraco Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 0 06-27-2011 03:11 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.