Easy peasy pwc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One important note...the metal threaded part that actually connects to the sink does not mix with wet hands. I sliced the crap out of my finger trying to unscrew it after a pwc It's got really small, sharp threads. I just leave it on all the time now on one of the two bathroom sinks. There really should be a warning on the package. I've heard of other members cutting their hands on them too.

The Python or another system like it would be great for you. It can be a bit of overkill if you have a smaller tank, but I couldn't live without it. I wouldn't worry about the bubbles unless you're doing a HUGE water change. You can over oxygenate the water which can be a little rough for the fish if you changed basically all the water in the tank at once and too quickly...but for normal pwc's there's no problem.

Hm.... I started off with 4 Glofish (danios), had them a month adn trying to cycle with them (Petsmart gave me bad advice and it was before I found this site), I kept ammo down to <0.25, no nitrates/nitrites. After a large (about 7-8 gals) water change (I have a 12 gal tank) for ammo that was about 0.25 the fish were at the top, listless, gasping. Overnight 3 died. The fourth died the next day. I never could figure out what went wrong as they were fine before that (except one was hiding but I think it was being chased) and after the pwc I checked water again with the API kit and ammo was 0 or close to. I wonder if the large water change with the gasses hurt them? I also always try to match temp as close as I can using my hand/wrist and of course witha larger water change there's more room for error so that might have played a part but I remember the water feeling the same before I put it in. I also have a 4" airstone and a filter output that makes some bubbles and current so I'm wondering if the water was over-oxygenated and that did them in? I'm doing a fishless cycle now but I always wonder what killed those fish so suddenly (it happened last weekend).

Thanks, I'll look into the Python too!

libraygirl said:
Hm.... I started off with 4 Glofish (danios), had them a month adn trying to cycle with them (Petsmart gave me bad advice and it was before I found this site), I kept ammo down to <0.25, no nitrates/nitrites. After a large (about 7-8 gals) water change (I have a 12 gal tank) for ammo that was about 0.25 the fish were at the top, listless, gasping. Overnight 3 died. The fourth died the next day. I never could figure out what went wrong as they were fine before that (except one was hiding but I think it was being chased) and after the pwc I checked water again with the API kit and ammo was 0 or close to. I wonder if the large water change with the gasses hurt them? I also always try to match temp as close as I can using my hand/wrist and of course witha larger water change there's more room for error so that might have played a part but I remember the water feeling the same before I put it in. I also have a 4" airstone and a filter output that makes some bubbles and current so I'm wondering if the water was over-oxygenated and that did them in? I'm doing a fishless cycle now but I always wonder what killed those fish so suddenly (it happened last weekend).

Thanks, I'll look into the Python too!

A Python or something similar probably would be overkill for a 12 gallon. I've always heard over oxygenation can cause things like pop-eye and swim bladder issues (I could be wrong) not sudden death, but the tell tale signs of over oxygenation are when there are micro bubbles covering everything in the tank. I've only seen that the first time I added water to the tank when initially setting it up.

A Python or something similar probably would be overkill for a 12 gallon. I've always heard over oxygenation can cause things like pop-eye and swim bladder issues (I could be wrong) not sudden death, but the tell tale signs of over oxygenation are when there are micro bubbles covering everything in the tank. I've only seen that the first time I added water to the tank when initially setting it up.

I don't remember seeing micro bubbles after that change. i did have them for a few days after the tank was set up but they cleared. Guess I'll never know what happened to those fish; I just hope I don't accidentally do it again in the future.

Yes maybe the Python is overkill :D I'll look into a smaller version of an automatic changer though becuase that would be so much easier for me than having to manually dump in water with a small container.

libraygirl said:
I don't remember seeing micro bubbles after that change. i did have them for a few days after the tank was set up but they cleared. Guess I'll never know what happened to those fish; I just hope I don't accidentally do it again in the future.

Yes maybe the Python is overkill :D I'll look into a smaller version of an automatic changer though becuase that would be so much easier for me than having to manually dump in water with a small container.

The advice from Petsmart is what did them in. After that much time there's really no turning back for them as a lot of damage takes place. At least going through that has made you a better fish keeper, and you've learned to never listen to the lfs. The things they tell people there on a daily basis is borderline criminal IMO.

The advice from Petsmart is what did them in. After that much time there's really no turning back for them as a lot of damage takes place. At least going through that has made you a better fish keeper, and you've learned to never listen to the lfs. The things they tell people there on a daily basis is borderline criminal IMO.

+1 definitely agree x1000. At least now I know a (little) better. Thanks again!

When changing your water with these devices how do you maintain the water temperature?

Most places don't recommend using hot water do to possible copper leeching off into the water.

mwestendorf said:
When changing your water with these devices how do you maintain the water temperature?

Most places don't recommend using hot water do to possible copper leeching off into the water.

Your best estimation using your hand is suitable. Sometimes it takes a couple trips back and forth between the tank and the sink to get it right...but when it feels similar, that's all you need.

Just make sure you dose your dechlorinator for the total volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing when using a water changing system.

Back
Top Bottom