Empty 20g long...got a few ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'll be moving soon and since I'll be upgrading one of my tanks I've been trying to decide what to do with my empty 20 gal long.

Option 1 - divide it in half and have 2 bettas. Although I'm not thrilled with the look of a divided tank.

Option 2 - make it a sorority tank. This idea really intrigues me. I think it could be a beautiful tank but the horror stories are throwing me off.

Option 3 - try something new. A few dwarf cichlids perhaps? Or enlanders.

I'm open to other options so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

M/2f apisto cacatoides. Or what I'll be doing with my soon to be empty 30l.. shell dweller tank! Low maintenance (no plants anyways) and lots of excitement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you like a challenge, a dwarf puffer species tank. You could keep 3-5 in a tank that size with plenty of things to break line of sight.

Shell dwellers are absolutely hilarious and so much fun xD I highly recommend them!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Here's my suggestions for option #3:

1. Shell dwellers. Neolamprologus Multifasciatus is among my top 5 aquarium fish of all time. They're full of personality and very active, and they spawn incredibly easily (just ask the THREE SIMULTANEOUS SPAWNS in my 20g high). Because they're colonial you can get away with a REDICULOUS number of them in a 20 long. I've heard of people having more than 60 of them. As of right now I have 14 adults, 9 juveniles and uncountable fry in my 20 high.

2. A "river manifold" tank for hillstream and brookstream loaches. It's not a common type of tank but it's really, really cool and unique. Some of the hillstream loaches are really colorful and they have very unique personalities and behaviors that can ONLY be seen in a specialized river tank design. And a 20L is one of the best sizes for this design.

Pseudomugil blue eye tank! A mix of like 3 different species would be cool. Furcata, gertrudae, paska's, and signifer are all options.

I would also agree with a neolamprologus multifasciatus shell dweller cichlid tank though. They're really cool.

Or you could do a brackish tank. Indian glass fish, figure 8 puffer, Celebes rainbowfish, bumblebee gobies, knight goby, purple spot gudgeon, and the awesome but extremely rare freshwater (actually brackish) flounder are all options.

Dwarf cichlids are always a fun option. A pair or trio of apistogramma or dicrossus sp. with lots of plants and some dither fish would be rewarding, particularly if you could get them to breed.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I'm so late with my thanks.

Yall have given me a lot to think about. Lots of options I'd never thought of before. I may be back with questions so watch out!

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I'm so late with my thanks.

Yall have given me a lot to think about. Lots of options I'd never thought of before. I may be back with questions so watch out!

I've always been an advocate of Apistogramma in a tank like this. You ca. Great a pretty biotope tank, and along with pencilfish.

Apistos are great as they are small fish with huge color and personality. :)

Back
Top Bottom