Enough space for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettas should have a filter and a heater just like any other tropical fish. Also, they are jumpers so ideally in a container with no lid you would have to lower the water level quite a bit, leaving him with less than a gallon. So I would not recommend it for a betta. Sorry. Even a little 2 gallon kit with a heater and filter would be much better suited. Fishbowls are just not appropriate homes for anything.

Alyxx said:
Bettas should have a filter and a heater just like any other tropical fish. Also, they are jumpers so ideally in a container with no lid you would have to lower the water level quite a bit, leaving him with less than a gallon. So I would not recommend it for a betta. Sorry. Even a little 2 gallon kit with a heater and filter would be much better suited. Fishbowls are just not appropriate homes for anything.

I'm so sorry I forgot to mention I will be buying those preset heaters and I will be purchasing a small filter for him also:) whould that be acceptable? Or should I not do it? Thanks!

Honestly I don't think it would be very suitable. As I said, to have the water at a safe level to prevent jumping he just wouldn't have enough room. You could try to make a cover for it, but in my opinion the lid, heater, and filter would ruin the look of the bowl anyway. Plus, the less water in the container, the more often you have to change it. The smallest tank I ever use to house a betta is a 1.5 gallon kit, and that's more of a temporary home / backup tank in case one doesn't agree with a community. Water changes every other day just suck, even of it is a small tank. A 5 gallon tank is just about perfect for a betta. It is easier to cycle because a larger filter can be used, and the extra water volume really helps with water quality. I would suggest nothing smaller than 2-5 gallons, and no matter what the size, get something designed to house a fish.

And a note on the heater ... If "preset" means the ones that keep your tank at 72 then... Well I have one for emergencies but in general bettas like their temp a little warmer. Having the ability to adjust the temp is worth the extra $$ if you have it.

Ok, I shall move the betta back to his original tank:) thanks everyone! I think that's a much better idea.

Back
Top Bottom