Fairly new 30g setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stlrsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I actually started this tank about 3-4 months ago, and I believe I'm long past the cycling stage which ended about 6 weeks in. Since then, I've got my tank looking really great, but have one lasting concern.

Here is what I have:

30 gallon tank
Fluval 206 filter (2 sponges, 2 pure-flo pads, biomax, biofoam, carbon & one purigen 100ml pouch)

I have 3 cichlids - 2 red peacock cichlids & one demasoni (plan on upgrading down road).

I have 2 small live plants, 4 fake and a few rocks.

Also have a large airstone. I think that's it?

Anyway, water almost appears crystal clear when looking downward, or at the bottom of the tank. But if you look towards the lights, toward the upper portion, it looks like small white particles in there. I've tried everything and they remain. I've tried turning filtration and aeration off, no difference.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate/Nitrate both at 0.
I have the API master kit and everything is fine and within acceptable levels.

Here is a photo of the upper particles:

http://i.imgur.com/OHM5i2Z.jpg

If you need more info, please let me know!

-Jim

I turned everything off again (filter/air stone) so the water was still, to make sure again it wasn't micro-bubbles or something from the filtration. These particles just kind of hang there, suspended... so it's not bubble related.

It's frustrating, cause I then put my tiny net in and it can't pick any of it up. Then of course once the filter is back on it's the same, only moving. And if too small for a net, but large enough to see - why don't my filter sponges, pure-flo pads (now added a polisher pad as well) and nothing seems to be picking up these particles.

The woman at Petsmart told me that it's 'possible' that it's just bacteria in the water? I love this woman as she knows a lot for a young gal, but I don't know anything at all about what bacteria would look like in such a case.

Can I link to a movie (youtube) if I make one to see it better?

I'm wondering if it's perhaps the crappy gravel? Although cleaned of course, it did come from Petco. It's black gravel, and I do see white underneath from a few that seemingly are chipped rocks. Is it possible it's the gravel, anyone ever seen that before?

This is driving me nutso. :banghead:

-Jim

Can you put some filter floss in your filter (like Polyfill from a craft store, make sure it's not flame retardant but basic poly), and then try to get them into the filter to get trapped?

I have no idea :( I feel bad no one else seems to know either. I would have guessed micro bubbles but you said it's not that. Can you get them out manually with your siphon, and then do they come back?

Can you put some filter floss in your filter (like Polyfill from a craft store, make sure it's not flame retardant but basic poly), and then try to get them into the filter to get trapped?

I have no idea :( I feel bad no one else seems to know either. I would have guessed micro bubbles but you said it's not that. Can you get them out manually with your siphon, and then do they come back?

I had bought some of that already (I think it's called filter fiber what I bought?). But I tried that, and a polishing pad & the pure-flo padding. I've tried together and individually. Right now I have just the pure-flo in there with the polishing pad in one of the cages. Doesn't seem to make a difference in what I see.

I 'might' have had a breakthrough though, and if on the right track, it's my own stupidity. It's still possible it is microbubbles, I'm just not experienced enough to know for sure.

It sure looks like little white particles. If I turn off my stone and filter, it appears to be suspended in motion, to an extent, so I turn things back on. But I decided to leave it that way for a few minutes longer this time. They not only get suspended, but seem to also grow smaller, even though they don't want to disappear. I wouldn't leave it like that for hours, but now it has me wondering if that's all it is.

When I turn the filter back on it seems like the particles 'grow'.

If it were microbubbles, wouldn't they keep rising to the surface, and die out if the air stopped coming in via filter/aeration?

Thanks!!

You would think so, but I would say not necessarily. When I get microbubbles they will float around the tank indefinitely at the whim of the current, and when I turn the filter off they will just hang there.

You would think so, but I would say not necessarily. When I get microbubbles they will float around the tank indefinitely at the whim of the current, and when I turn the filter off they will just hang there.

How long do you think it would be ok to leave the filter and stone off, without bringing harm to my fishies anyway?

I have finally figured this out, and it turns out I was incorrect and the issue was in fact microbubbles. I left filter/air off for about 20 minutes and saw a HUGE difference. Of course I wouldn't leave it like that, but at least figured out what it was, and that its just harmless bubbles.

I then put a little more water in the tank, and lowered the Fluval output about an inch below the water level. It's made a tremendous difference, but not perfect. I think a lot of the issue is the tank width, there really just isn't a lot of room for the filter to push the water before hitting the glass on the opposite side. I'm still trying to move the filter output nozzle to point towards the opposite corner, but this filter is stubborn and likes the position it's in! :)

Crud sorry I forgot to comment on your last question! Well it seems like you figured it out ok. But, you shouldn't really be getting bubbles with a canister, so I am a little perplexed about why you have all these microbubbles. There must be air trapped in there somehow??

Crud sorry I forgot to comment on your last question! Well it seems like you figured it out ok. But, you shouldn't really be getting bubbles with a canister, so I am a little perplexed about why you have all these microbubbles. There must be air trapped in there somehow??

I'm starting to think it's more the air stone (one of those crappy blue things). I was turning that and the filter off at the same time. I guess sometimes I didn't allow enough time. Yesterday I continue to mess around and turned just the stone off and it cleared up immensely as well. I guess it will be fine in there without one altogether, but I'm going to shop for a better aerator of sorts. Better yet, maybe I'll use it as an excuse to get a new tank out of it, I'll tell my wife the tank is no good for these guys, too skinny. :)

Back
Top Bottom