Feeding Frequency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How often should I be feeding my fish? The food containers say 3 times per day; people have told me once per day. I struck a happy medium and have been feeding them a little twice per day (it took me awhile to figure out the proper amount per feeding). Now I'm worried that I am overfeeding them, but they expect it now and I feel guilty if I stop. I want to keep those little fishies happy and healthy. Thanks!!

I used to feed most of my fish multiple times per day, but once they finish growing they need less feedings (they are no longer growing) so I feed twice. I also vary between many different types of foods so they don't become picky. Occasionally I will skip a day here and there just because I read it's good for their digestive system. I feed sparingly during feedings, overfeeding just means you clearing it up later on and possibly polluting your tank.

Reactions: HN1
+ 1 Tim Wheatley I also feed twice a day and then feed my plec when the lights go out to stop other fish eating his sinking wafer. Feed small amounts fish, rarely die of starvation when being fed everyday and alot can kill them

+2 to Tim

Some fish need to feed more than other fish, but I would recommend feeding twice a day.

Also, like Tim said, Every now and then, fast your fish. Meaning skip a day of feeding.

I think if I did not feed my triggerfish twice a day they would jump outa my tank and eat my cat!!..... But on that note, I only feed them a little each time and I try and leave them a little hungry....( makes for a cleaner tank),.I think you gotta experiment aliitle with your critters to see what your perimeters are,just don't overfeed .

If you got snails, they will tell you whether or not you are feeding too much.

Reactions: HN1
I do have snails and I pull out 1 or 2 a day. Does that mean I am feeding too much?

If you have "pest" snails in your tank, they will sustain a population based on the amount of food available to them. If you find the population increasing, then you are feeding too much. MTS should be able to live in a tank and not turn into an infestation.

Once a day. I prefer to feed more once a day for the reason that some of my fish are slower and more timid than the others. So can take much longer between the food arriving and them going to the top to get some. So if I feed a good amount, the other fish haven't got time to eat all of it before the slow fish get there.

However if I were to feed a small amount twice a day the fast fish would eat it all immediately and the others would go hungry!

Back
Top Bottom