Filter change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chipchop

Aquarium Advice Regular
Newbie question here: When changing my power filter, what is the best way to do it? I have read different things. Do not rise the strainer, right?

Thanks for your patience for the newbie questions.

I assume you mean the filter media. I don't know what kind of filter it is. The best thing to do is take out the pads rinse them in old tank water and put them back in. You can use them until they fall apart.

Do you mean changing the filter media? What type of filter do you have (brand) and what is the media like? Chances are you don't need to change any sponge like material out and can just rinse it in dechlorinated water.

Piece of cake - The Whisper has a black sponge in the front - this is where some of the good bacteria you need hang out - In my humble opinion forget it is there. There is no need to remove the black sponge and rinse it off unless the good bacteria grew so much that it is blocking water flow. And the easiest way to do that is to lift the black sponge out (briefly) and hold it up to the light. If you see light coming through your good to go. Put it back and forget about it.
There will come a time when the good guys start to clog up the works in the black sponge. When that happens get yourself a descent size container of your aquarium water about a gallon DO NOT USE TAP WATER YOUR AQUARIUM WATER ONLY - remove the black sponge from its cage and squeeze the sponge in the container - MAKE SURE IT IS A NEW CONTAINER NOT ONE YOU CLEANED WITH. You do this to breakup the party the good guys were having on the sponge but it doesn't get rid of everyone - what is left will start to colonize the sponge again.
As for the white filter pad. You can buy them two ways - one prefilled with charcoal or the party pack of about 8 filters -- The party pack requires you to assemble them (it is real easy). Whichever way you go you must always rinse the charcoal under running tap water. If you are using the prefilled ones run it under tap water for a few minutes working the charcoal in the filter pad with your fingers. Once that is done dap and pat any excess water out with a paper towel and insert behind the black sponge. If you buy the party pack the charcoal comes in individual packets - simply pour the charcoal into a screen strainer (like a small version of what you strain macaroni in) rinse it well for a couple of minutes moving it with a spoon -- Then with the spoon scoop it into the filter pad and clamp it down. Hope this helps - there is more to cleaning it - like cleaning the intake tube -but you do that once in a blue moon. But feel free to drop me a line or PM (personal message) or whatever you kids call it. In the mean time I have to soak my finger in hot water- this much typing cramped them - :D

This is an excellent example of how fantastic this forum is. Thanks warped1. Very useful.

Back
Top Bottom