First Ever Aquarium: Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I've lost two fish, unfortunately. To be honest, one of them never looked very hot to begin with. The other 4 would hang out together and that one didn't seem to be as active.

The three that are remaining seem a lot happier now. They are swimming around more actively, exploring toward the top of the tank more. A funny thing I see one of them do is swim an up and down zig zig pattern from one side of the tank to the other. Sometimes the other two will follow him. It's quite amusing.

I still haven't really seen them eat, but I'm thinking that now that they are exploring the upper parts of the tank that they will in the next day or so. Today is the last day for the meds. After that I guess I just put the carbon filter back in to absorb the medicine.

I was told that I could get fish to replace the ones that died so quickly. What would you recommend I do at this point? I wouldn't want to add more and re-disease the tank. But they are schooling fish and I'm left with only 3 of them now... Also, now I'm a bit timid to add fish at all, seeing how it was so hard on these guys... I felt really bad for them. After all of that research and waiting, I still lost 2 fish in 2 days. Very discouraging...

And I've lost two more fish....

I don't know what to do anymore. I've only got 1 tetra left(for now) and I'm afraid to get more of the same kind (lest I get ick again) and I don't want him to be alone...

I would raise the temp to 86f for at least two weeks to kill the ich off. I would then put in the six danios you wanted. Wait at least a month with just the danios. If your levels stay good and the danios show no signs of disease then you could try the rummynoses again. Rummynoses are very sensative fish. If your last one makes it he will be ok by himself for the 6 weeks or so before you get him new friends.

Ah well I didn't necessarily want Danios earlier... It was either some sort of danio OR the tetras...

Guess I made the wrong choice...

I'm still annoyed that I did all of that research and work with fishless cycling only to kill 4 fish in 4 days... Stupid ich...

Anyway, having said that, I'm definitely going to try a hardier fish this time... I just thought I'd be okay since I was cycled already.

That could interfere with my plans though, couldn't it? Originally I wanted 5 or 6 tetra, a dwarf guarami and like 3 yoyo loaches. If I add another school of danios won't I be overstocked at that point?

Well, I'm out of fish and I'm not happy about it... I guess now I'm going to do a big water change and heat the tank to 87 for a while. Out of curiosity, how hot does it have to give to kill the beneficial bacteria in my filter?

Back to the drawing board on fish research, I guess... I thought the rummynose would be okay since I fishless cycled the tank, but what do I know. Hardier fish next time around... Too bad though, I like the rummynose.

And you can officially start to call me the worst fish keeper of all time now... Not only are all of my fish dead, but while changing my water today, I stepped on my lid and cracked it.

You are not the worst fish keeper ever. I have lost my fair share of fish. Run the tank at 86 or so for a couple of weeks to kill the ich. Add some ammonia to keep the bacteria alive and fed. Try starting with danios or black skirt tetras. They are very hardy fish. Keep trying you will get it right. You are doing the right thing by posting questions here.

Good luck.

As Rich said, you are not the worst fish keeper out there. You asked for advice, cycled fishless, and did research. I have no clue either about the Rummynose Tetras being sensitive to water conditions because none of the research sites told me that. But it's a lesson learned. Cheer up. I'm sure it will all be uphill from here. We all have had those first several fish that have died.

Meh, I know. I'm just annoyed that I cracked my lid. I appreciate the encouragement though.

Well round 2 begins. I've got the temperature back to normal, new carbon media and 5 pristella tetra. I was told that these guys are much hardier than the Rummies. They already seem happier. The Rummies were much more timid, in comparison.

I'll update in a couple of days.

Good to hear. Rummies are sensitive to water conditions and should be added to established tanks. Maybe in a month or two you could add a school.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that I didn't realize just how sensitive they are until too late... I may try them again, I haven't decided yet.

My next fish will be a few loaches of some kind. I was liking yoyos, but I will consider other kinds that stay small enough that I can have 3 or so.

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

I am glad to see that you have done some plentiful research on starting a new aquarium. Also, you are CYCLING!!! That is a very, VERY, good thing. I hope you continue to enjoy keeping fish, and come here often for help, advice, and friendship. Don't hold back helping others when you can too, heh. Anyways, good luck!

Well my fish seem to be pretty happy. They stay in a loose school and are pretty active during the day. They get really excited when I walk over to the tank. I was taking a water sample and I dangled my finger in the water for a bit and one nibbled me :p

I have a question about feeding though. I've read that you should put in a few flakes and if they eat them all quickly, add some more and so on. Well these guys seem like they would just eat and eat and eat forever if I did that so I've been kind of stopping after a few pinches. Any suggestions on a better way to do this and judge how much to put in?

Anybody have some insight? I've been feeding them twice a day, but never really to the point where they seem disinterested. All of the food definitely gets eaten, but it still seems like a lot...

Most fish always act hungry. My angels can be so stuffed they can barely swim and they will still beg for more. Two small feedings a day is more than enough. I am glad things are turning around for you.

Rich

Good choice with the pristellas. I've found that mine are very hardy. You don't have to give up on the rummy nose, just wait a while before adding them this time. They are so beautiful once they settle in and get comfortable. :D Yo yo loaches stay pretty small, and I think you could keep 3 in your tank. I have a couple in my 20 gallon now that will be moving to a 30 long eventually, and they are really entertaining fish. Be careful about adding them, as they are prone to getting ich. If you could quarantine them that would be best.

Just an update. The Pristellas are still doing great. Sometimes they spread out around the tank and sometimes they all group together. I frequently see 4 of them together and the 5th off by itself.

I'm looking into where and what kind of loaches I'm going to get next. I also think I'm going to add some more plants to my already thriving anacharis.. The tank is coming together pretty nicely though.

TriviallyTravis said:
Anybody have some insight? I've been feeding them twice a day, but never really to the point where they seem disinterested. All of the food definitely gets eaten, but it still seems like a lot...

Ive always fed once a day..
you can safely feed them as much as they can eat in one miniute a day.. that is if its one feeding, feed them however much food that can be consumed in a miniute.. if its two feedings however much food they can consume in 30 seconds.. Its just a general rule that helps keep bio-load to a miniumum.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom