Fish Choices for a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I have had a 36 gallon cichlid tank for a while and it just didn't work out for me because all of my cichlids kept on hiding no matter what I did. So I gave them to a fish store for someone else to have some better luck. Now I am hoping for a another community aquarium like my 55 gal. I would like this tank to include neon tetras. My 55 gallon is slightly overstocked but i have two bio wheel 350 filters when the tank only came with one. I need to figure out what fish to move from that one to my smaller one.:fish2:
But my 55 gallon has large fish like Giant Danios and I don't want to move them to the smaller one because they will eat the smaller neon tetras. (examples: large botia, large gourami, angelfish) :hide:
I would have liked to move my 5 cory catfish and two small angelicas botia loaches but i am never going to catch them in a large planted tank. (trust me i already tried for almost an hour):fish1:
So i was thinking about moving this catfish but i don't know what species he is and he looks big enough to eat them. (4" long) (picture included) (please help identify) (think he is Synodontis Nigrita). :eek:
Will this work????

I am also going to have a large Pleco and maybe a Gourami in there too

Thanks for all replies in advance :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 70
He certainly looks like a Synodontis of some type. Have you posted the pic in the catfish forum? You could also try planet catfish.

Most fish are opportunistic feeders and they'll eat nearly anything that will fit in their mouthes. I'd be cautious adding the Syondontis with neons. It may not bother them, but then again it may.

You can try building a "trap" of sorts to get the inhabitants out of your larger tank. A water bottle with a small opening works well. float it in the tank with some food inside. Once the fish head in for the food you have a chance at scooping up the bottle with the fish inside. There are some other similar methods if you search around for fish traps and similar ideas.

This is for Cory cats though they are on the bottom

Thx though for your advice. :)

This is my loach... ;)

Can you guys identify him for me (lol I took pictures at him from everywhere)
He has a yellow anal fin and is 1/2' long (tiger loach)?

Also, just like the catfish can I place him with neons?:hide::fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pics what species of loach it it; maybe someone with more loach knowledge than I possess can identify it. I can tell you though, that I have kuhlis, yoyos, and weather loaches that never bother any other fish. Most have mouths too small to be a danger, I think. Except for snails; my yoyos are ravenous with small snails.

I have a snail problem and use Angelicus loaches I will post these pics on a new thread

I have put up a test tank with all the fish and only 6 neons and everything is going smooth (with the catfish) :)

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like some sort of Boris species.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom