Fish less cycle with "bottled cycle"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided last week to start over and do it right by beginning with a fish less cycle. I read a little on it and went for it using the bottle Cycle. I'm on day three now which I believe is the last day I add cycle. I took some reading yesterday just to get a feel for the new API master test strips. All my reading were 0 for NO2 and NO3. I also tested for ammonia and it was 1 (I'm assuming that means 10 ppm according to some threads I've read in here.

My question is do I need to start adding ammonia or is the cycle theoretically complete as the bottle says it allows immediate introduction of fish? I was actually going to go buy some ammonia and was reading up on it when I came across some info in one of the stickies that this is actually a different type of cycle. I really meant to do the other one with ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. I'm a little confused now and not sure what to do.
If I take a reading later today what should I look for?
Can I add fish? Any further steps I should take?

Your tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & a reading for nitrates. I m not familiar with Cycle but when adding ammonia for a fishless cycle, you dose up to 4ppm & when it converts to 0 in 24 hrs, your tank is reAdy for fish. I wouldn t add any fish until you know for sure the tank is ready.

Oh absolutely there won't be anything going in there until I know for sure.

Thanks.

Is that "Cycle" stuff bottled bacteria? If so, then the bacteria need a food source to live and reproduce and that food source is ammonia.

The maker of that stuff is probably assuming that you're doing a Fish-In cycle and that fish waste and uneaten food will provide the ammonia source. Since you're doing a Fish-Less cycle, then you will need to provide an ammonia source yourself.

Is that "Cycle" stuff bottled bacteria? If so, then the bacteria need a food source to live and reproduce and that food source is ammonia. The maker of that stuff is probably assuming that you're doing a Fish-In cycle and that fish waste and uneaten food will provide the ammonia source. Since you're doing a Fish-Less cycle, then you will need to provide an ammonia source yourself.

I had added a couple very small pinches of ground down fish flakes the first couple days as well as some Ph down for the phosphates. Forget what it does but suppose to help. And yes I'm told it is just bottled bacteria. I'm under the impression this is like a jump start for cycles and I should now add a couple fish to keep it stabilized. Took my readings today and they are all fine. Though NO3 is only at 1.

Thats fine, but then you'll be doing a Fish-In cycle and I thought you were interested in doing a Fish-Less. Despite their claims, there's no promise that the bottled bacteria will do anything at all. If shipped or stored improperly (too hot or too cold), the bacteria inside will die. If you add fish, then keep a close eye on the water parameters and be prepared to change the water as needed.

I dont even know where to begin with the using pH Down to reduce phosphates.:lol:

"pH" does not stand for phosphates, so there's that.
What made you think you had phosphates so high that you needed to reduce them?

Thats fine, but then you'll be doing a Fish-In cycle and I thought you were interested in doing a Fish-Less. Despite their claims, there's no promise that the bottled bacteria will do anything at all. If shipped or stored improperly (too hot or too cold), the bacteria inside will die. If you add fish, then keep a close eye on the water parameters and be prepared to change the water as needed. I dont even know where to begin with the using pH Down to reduce phosphates.:lol: "pH" does not stand for phosphates, so there's that. What made you think you had phosphates so high that you needed to reduce them?

I was thinking of adding fish just because I didn't want to waste it if the cycle actually worked rather than having wasted money and the last few days getting this all going.

The thing with Ph I read some where in one of the stickies regarding fish less cycles. Maybe I misread something but don't feel like looking it back up. Ill just wait a couple days and do another test.

Just read up on the fish in cycle. I'm sure I can manage this as I'm finding a few of my friends actually have aquariums and even multiple tanks going. They have all done the fish in cycles and also have media I can have. I'm gonna gear up for this method now I feel a little more comfortable having them around.

Thanks for that Coyne.

Hi namar.

If you started your tank from scratch then the 1 ppm ammonia will be from a mixture of your fresh water and fish food you put in.

I'll start by saying you need to buy the API liquid test kit, not the strips. The strips according to most are very unreliable and could cause more problems. This would be my first move.

As already stated, no one really knows if the bacteria we add from a bottle works or gets the cycle going but I add it anyway just in case. Now of course you will need an ammonia source.

It's very important when you do a fish in cycle to choose appropriate fish. Smaller fish that are known to be 'hardy' that have small bioloads (don't poop as much) will help reduce the chance off ammonia building up too much. You also need to add a very small amount of these fish depending on the size if your tank, if you have a small tank use less fish. Also wait a week or 2 before adding any more. Each fish you add will encourage bacteria to grow in order to manage the new bioload and this takes time. If you add too many at once you will get a build up of toxins that the bacteria is not large enough to handle at the time. Waiting a couple if weeks allows the bacteria time to grow in numbers.

The most important part if the cycle is too monitor water parameters closely using the liquid test kit. When ammonia exceeds 0.25 ppm ammonia you will need to do a water change. In theory if you follow the rules. Ammonia should not have time to build up as the bacteria will be growing at a rate proportional to its food. The larger the body of water the better.

I used 4 harlequin rasbora to cycle my tank and added new fish every week and a half up to my current stock. Ammonia never exceeded 0.25ppm but I monitored it very closely.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom