Fishless Cycle Frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now that you have your liquid test kit what does it say for you Ph? Make sure your Ph has not crashed causing a stall.

now that you have your liquid test kit what does it say for you Ph? Make sure your Ph has not crashed causing a stall.

Does anyone think I might be stalled with the pH around 8.2??

And does anyone have suggestions on the brown algae? I did do a water change and wiped down the decorations initially, I didn't touch the filter and didn't disrupt the gravel...but the algae is back. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Just check..

Just wanted to chip in....

1 - The API test for NitrIte - if your solutions turns purple immediately when adding and then back to blue after 5 mins, (making it look like 0 reading) you have a reading way off the scale! - You might want to check info from API regarding max scale level reading for this....Your result would cause suspicion

2 - Your NitrAte solution...Bang the hell out of that bottle and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds, then, after adding, shake vigorously for a least a minute...A known false indicator of 0 NitrAtes as the bottle settles its contents when not used.

No immediate purple for the nitrite test...both nitrite and nitrate are registering as 0 :(
Still crazy fishless lady.

Yes. Something is wrong. I am just not sure what. I will think on it some more. :confused:

Are you absolutely positively CERTAIN you did the nitrate test correctly? shaking the bottle #2 not the vial before adding the drops, then shaking the vial?

Some people just have no luck at all with fishless cycling. Barring a chemical in your water killing bacteria there's nothing that should cause the lack of progress. At this point I usually advise that people switch gears and do a fish in cycle. Or even a silent start. Fish in cycles don't have the issues of stalling cycle that fishless ones do.

I does seem to me that a lot of guys have problems cycling smaller tanks. Smaller tanks - smaller filters - less media. I had a problem with my QT until I increased the size of the filter media by inserting the small inadequate internal filter(supplied with the tank) into a block of filter foam. Tank cycled quite quickly after that. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394609153.387209.jpg

Yes. Something is wrong. I am just not sure what. I will think on it some more. :confused:

Are you absolutely positively CERTAIN you did the nitrate test correctly? shaking the bottle #2 not the vial before adding the drops, then shaking the vial?

Yep I'm certain....sigh

Questions now:
A) do I give up on the fishless cycle?
B) if A is no, then what should I do?
C) if A is yes, then do I just empty the tank and fill with new water & treat?
D) how do I get rid of this algae?

Questions now:
A) do I give up on the fishless cycle?
B) if A is no, then what should I do?
C) if A is yes, then do I just empty the tank and fill with new water & treat?
D) how do I get rid of this algae?

What's the current Ammonia level?

A - Yes, I think it's time to change directions.
C - Yep, just refill the tank
D - Diatoms will run themselves out. They will feed until they run out of silicates and then die. The best way to currently limit them is to limit the number of hours you're running your light down to 6 hours daily.

Why are you dosing up to 4 ppm of ammonia? Try dosing only to 2ppm? That may solve your problem

Are you seeing any nitrites pop up or is it converting to nitrates?

A - Yes, I think it's time to change directions.
C - Yep, just refill the tank
D - Diatoms will run themselves out. They will feed until they run out of silicates and then die. The best way to currently limit them is to limit the number of hours you're running your light down to 6 hours daily.

Thanks for your input. I actually don't have the tank light on at all, but it is in my office where I'm here 8 hours a day. But with the lid on it doesn't seem that bright?
Maybe with the water change it will help too, thank you!

Why are you dosing up to 4 ppm of ammonia? Try dosing only to 2ppm? That may solve your problem

Are you seeing any nitrites pop up or is it converting to nitrates?

I was dosing it to 4 because of the directions I was given. I have tried dosing it to only two. And it does go down, just very slowly - like 3-4 days.

No readings of nitrites or nitrates have been found.

Are you sure your test kit isn't faulty?
I think your testing nitrites and nitrates with strips. Can you order the master test kit online? Amazon has them for 20$

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom