Fishless Cycle Frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No if you read the thread above, I was originally testing with strips, but then bought the master test kit online. And yes I'm following the directions, Lol still nothing.

No if you read the thread above, I was originally testing with strips, but then bought the master test kit online. And yes I'm following the directions, Lol still nothing.

If you were in the US I would send you some seeded media for free. Your patience is admirable.

Do some water changes and get the ammonia down to .25ppm and buy a few Hardy fish. Then just keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia down and you'll see everything happen soon enough.

I know people will say a fish in cycle is cruel etc etc.

I skimmed through it. I'm going through a similar problem but I am showing everything op. I think like mebbid and Fisher said. It's time to add some hardy fish

Yeah maybe the fishless cycle isn't meant to be....the only problem is I only want a beta in the tank, so what do people suggest in that case?
I wasnt thinking of having tank mates with him, as I thought it may increase the amount of waste, and it's only a ten gallon tank.

Thanks again

You can go ahead and add the beta. They don't create much ammonia at all. Before you add him, try and get the ammonia levels to 0ppm. Once you have, add him and monitor daily. Should be smooth sailing from there

Thanks everyone. I will think about just changing the water then, cleaning the algae off my decorations, make sure the ammonia is 0 and add Mr Fish.

Thanks, that was a lot of wasted time though, so sad! Lol

Hey just an update for all of my helpful friends on here:

I got my new betta (named him Ludwig), and put him in his new 10 gallon home,
It really is true that they enjoy the extra space, I've never had a betta that acted so happy, all hours of the day. He is very active, as well as interactive with me and anyone that comes in my office. Quite the social butterfly.

I put him in on Saturday - 5 days ago. Ammonia/nitrates/nitrites all reading 0 still.
I'm still not convinced this tank is cycled, so I'll continue to monitor and see if I see any spikes at all.

But he seems very healthy and happy and even made his first bubble nest last night after I put a piece of styrofoam cup in his corner to break the surface movement.

Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully I can figure out the bio cycle as I go!

Back
Top Bottom