Heater screw up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got in a hurry and did something I knew was wrong. I pulled out the heater to get it to cross the support middle bar while it was still hot. It now has a charred brown film on it. It looks like rust but I am thinking it is the slime coat burnt to the titanium tube.

Do I need to scrap the heater now and get a new one? Will it be ok with the charred mess. I tried to scrub it off and it will not come off. It seems to be working still.

I know this was dumb I just thought, your bringing it out for a half of a second it will be ok and as soon as I pulled it out, I heard the sizzle.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453419178.757842.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
No

I am afraid of a toxic issue with the water. It seems to be working well still

the charing could also lead to uneven heat distribution and thus more damage down the line. I personally wouldn't trust it.

i don't think i will trust it either. I will get a new one and then use this one as a backup if the new one fails. Thanks for the info so far.

If you ever heat your water in external buckets before a water change as some people do, you could use the heater for that purpose. then it's not running all the time unmonitored, and if it cracks you'll see it before it does anything bad to your tank!

Back
Top Bottom