Help New Member Seeking Help with Hi Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sule

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 46 gallon bowfront that started cycling 1/23. There is no gravel, I have emperor 400, has 2 biowheels, I added crushed coral and ceramic noodles to encourage pH stability and bacteria.There were 6 guppies , 3 platies and 2 corries in it. I have 2 bubble wands with separate air pumps,2 heaters, temp is 80. Parameter were Ok, and I have been doing 30% water changes weekly. Yesterday, one of the guppies were saluting surface, checked the water parameters, nitrates were 20, nitrites were 5, pH 7.5, GH 75, KH 80, Cl 0, ammonia 1; I removed the sick fish into a cycled tank with a pregnant female ( didn't make it) did a 50 % water change yesterday, added some ornaments and filter remains from the cycled tank and a plant. Today, parameters as follows: NH3 <20, nitrite 1.6, GH 75, Cl 0, KH 80, pH 7.8.Ammonia is 0. I am using tetra Master Kit for measurements. I stopped feeding. There is already 1tsp /gallon salt in the mix. My question is how much water changes , how long, how frequent until when. Please help I love my fish and I hate to see them suffer. Thanks. I am going to check replies frequently. Yes, I have heard fishless cycle but it is too late to help now.

Welcome to AA :)

You're adding salt, which is a good thing. This is one of the few times that I believe adding salt is beneficial.

You said you added filter media from an established tank? That was also a very good idea. This will speed things up tremendously.

At this point, all you can do is water changes. Do them as often as necessary. I'd do a 50% change now, then another one this evening. That should get the nitrite down alot. The bacteria from the established tank should start bringing them down pretty soon. Keep an eye on it, do another 50% change in the morning if necessary, and so on

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that started cycling 1/23. There is no gravel, I have emperor 400, has 2 biowheels, I added crushed coral and ceramic noodles to encourage pH stability and bacteria.There were 6 guppies , 3 platies and 2 corries in it. I have 2 bubble wands with separate air pumps,2 heaters, temp is 80. Parameter were Ok, and I have been doing 30% water changes weekly. Yesterday, one of the guppies were saluting surface, checked the water parameters, nitrates were 20, nitrites were 5, pH 7.5, GH 75, KH 80, Cl 0, ammonia 1; I removed the sick fish into a cycled tank with a pregnant female ( didn't make it) did a 50 % water change yesterday, added some ornaments and filter remains from the cycled tank and a plant. Today, parameters as follows: NH3 <20, nitrite 1.6, GH 75, Cl 0, KH 80, pH 7.8.Ammonia is 0. I am using tetra Master Kit for measurements. I stopped feeding. There is already 1tsp /gallon salt in the mix. My question is how much water changes , how long, how frequent until when. Please help I love my fish and I hate to see them suffer. Thanks. I am going to check replies frequently. Yes, I have heard fishless cycle but it is too late to help now.

Welcome to AA :)

You're adding salt, which is a good thing. This is one of the few times that I believe adding salt is beneficial.

You said you added filter media from an established tank? That was also a very good idea. This will speed things up tremendously.

At this point, all you can do is water changes. Do them as often as necessary. I'd do a 50% change now, then another one this evening. That should get the nitrite down a lot. The bacteria from the established tank should start bringing them down pretty soon. Keep an eye on it, do another 50% change in the morning if necessary, and so on

I lost another guppy today after the second 50%water change. It was blue moscow had patches of discoloration on tail and swam face up with laboriously a while resting on plastic plant leaves; found it dead today. I did another 50% early this morning, nitrites are 0.8 now. How long do you think it will take bio filter to kick in? The platies seems to be doing well, 6 fries in breeding box show no signs of stress. Should I continue with changes until I see no nitritis? there is very little nitrates now, ammonia 0, feeding sparingly, should I move guppies to cycle tank. I have a pregnant female there and I don't want to stress her out with 4 males in a 10 gallon tank and loose her babies or get them eaten. I find it harder to cycle the large tank, how long this will take, it has been 4 weeks, no meds has been used.Thank you for input.

If your nitrates are kicking in then you're almost there. After the nitrite spike nitrates usually take over fairly quickly. Just keep up the water changes to keep the nitrites down and you'll be there soon. If you are able to keep up with the water changes I would just keep the fish in there your almost done.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom