Help with aquarium changeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be fine buying plants from a tank with fish if you are buying them from a reputable dealer. On the snails if you are really worried assassin snails are a really good option, they can really do a number an a pet snail population. Hope that this helps!
:)

I was considering that, because snails are not my biggest worry. The lfs I usually deal with keeps their live plants in a tank where I know for a fact I purchased a gold ram cichlid with ich, so I'm more worried about the plants harboring the parasite more than anything. The last thing I need is to treat the whole tank all over again!! Lol I'd be so angry hahaha

You might consider quarantining newly purchased plants in a tank with no fish. Fish borne parasites like Ich will die off without a host after x number of hours (this is temperature dependent).

You might consider quarantining newly purchased plants in a tank with no fish. Fish borne parasites like Ich will die off without a host after x number of hours (this is temperature dependent).

Alrighty, do you have any more information on this? I was considering starting up a 10gal quarantine anyway, so that I could do a silent cycle on with the plants before transferring them over to the 29.

Unfortunately I will have to defer to more knowledgeable sources (@rivercats) or Google. Should be no different than QT for fish. There might be a solution for dipping the plants in to remove parasites and cysts. Palms up shoulder shrug

Unfortunately I will have to defer to more knowledgeable sources (@rivercats) or Google. Should be no different than QT for fish. There might be a solution for dipping the plants in to remove parasites and cysts. Palms up shoulder shrug

Lol thank you so much :) I'll do some research, maybe pm Rivercats.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. (the plant packages) If you are wanting to do a silent cycle, the first pack does not have fast growing plants which you need for a silent cycle, and the second one doesn't come with very many plants, considering the price. I was also looking at the one from liveaquaria, but after I went on aquariumplants.net, and put together my own package, I saw how many more plants I was going to get for a much better price.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. (the plant packages) If you are wanting to do a silent cycle, the first pack does not have fast growing plants which you need for a silent cycle, and the second one doesn't come with very many plants, considering the price. I was also looking at the one from liveaquaria, but after I went on aquariumplants.net, and put together my own package, I saw how many more plants I was going to get for a much better price.

Alright rock on. My tank is already cycled, so I'm not worried. Unless I have a reason to be. Should I be worried?

Just a bump, and a question for those of you out there: is there any kind of plant substrate from a home and garden center that would be safe for an aquarium? I'm guessing anything without fertilizers or chemicals added; but what types? They just opened a Country Max right down the road from my house, and was considering checking out what they have that I could possibly use.

I'm so amped to do this!!

Also, I'm very concerned about how my rams are going to acclimate to the tank once it's been changed over. How log would you suggest I acclimate them before putting them in the new tank? I was going to keep them in a large Rubbermaid storage bin, and do a slow drip from the new tank. Maybe over a day or two? And remove water from the Rubbermaid until its mostly from the new setup? It's going to be a pretty drastic change: my ph is about 7.4~7.6 now, the hardness is pretty high. They're pretty well acclimated to the water now, but I know the change of substrate and driftwood and plants is all going to change that, pretty drastically from what I've read. I don't want to shock the babies to death! It's frightening me.

Back
Top Bottom