High Nitrite condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
The books say that it’s normal in a new aquarium for the nitrite to jump as high as 5ppm for four to six weeks.

When this happens, do you try to bring the nitrite down with products made for this purpose?

Do you bring it down another way without bottled help?

Or do you simply keep the aquarium clean and wait it out, the fish will be okay if it stays within the four to six weeks?

Are you still cycling? If so, you're in the middle of a nitrite spike. That's a good thing, as you're probably 75% done with your cycle at this point. It'll work itself out. If the nitrite level exceeds 5 ppm, do a 50% water change. (Some say that > 5 ppm nitrite can stall this part of the cycle, but this is controversial. Still, no harm in doing a water change.)

At this point, I'd recommend dosing your tank with 0.5 ppm ammonia every other day to keep the ammonia-consuming bacteria colony growing without jacking up the nitrite level. When your nitrite spike goes away, dose your tank with 4-5 ppm ammonia and see if it can completely convert it to nitrAte in 24 hours. When it can do this, you're cycled.

Are you still cycling? .

Yes I am cycling. I am on day 28.

I keep a daily journal.

Right now I have the following water conditions:

Ammonia 0 ppm
I had 0.25 for 17 days. It’s been 0 for 2 days.

Nitrite 4 or 5 ppm
Nitrite is between 4 and 5 ppm, it’s hard to tell, the colors are so close to one another. It’s been like this for 3 days. It was 0.25 for 9 days then 1ppm for 1 day then 2ppm for 1 day now 4 to 5ppm.

Nitrate about 10 ppm
It’s been like this, 8 to 10 ppm for 16 days now.

Ph 8.2
Ph never changes

Looks like you're in good shape. pH is good for cycling. What is your temperature? I typically do 82 F. I've been told that 80-84 is best.

Feed your tank ~0.5 ppm ammonia every other day until your nitrites fall back to < 0.5 ppm. At that point, you'll want to see if your BB colony will be able to completely consume 3-4 ppm ammonia in 24 hours.

Do you have fish in your tank?

I am wondering the same thing?

Do not dose ammonia if there are live fish! Water changes are necessary if your nitrite is reading 5ppm (or higher). Wcs will continue to be necessary to bring your nitrite level under control and keep it there. Prime really is the only product out there that can temporarily bind nitrite but even 5+ppm is beyond what an emergency dose (5x standard dose) can handle. Water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I have 18 baby Cichlids, 7 adult Tiger Barbs and 2 catfish.

Do I make a weekly water change or more?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I did a 40% water change this morning.
How soon after a water change do I test for Nitrite levels?

Yikes! I didn't realize that you were doing a fish-in cycle.

Yep, use double-doses of Prime and do larger water changes until your nitrites are down to < 1 ppm levels. And then continue with daily larger water changes and Prime until your nitrites are down to zero.

You will need to do a series of large water changes with these fish. Up to a 50% water change every hour is able to be done. You really want to see your nitrite levels as low as possible.
Yikes! I didn't realize that you were doing a fish-in cycle.

Yep, use double-doses of Prime and do larger water changes until your nitrites are down to < 1 ppm levels. And then continue with daily larger water changes and Prime until your nitrites are down to zero.
Never take anything at face value :)

Out of curiosity, are your fish showing any signs of distress and/or gasping at the surface?

To answer your question Caliban07,

I don't have any experience but I did get much information from this forum.

The fish are very active, their colors are not fading, I don't see any heavy breathing and all their fins look good. They also feed well. When I come to the glass they gather and beg for food.

I think all is good.

Fish in cycle? here what I would do. Do a large water change to get Nitrites below 1ppm. Then add some Safestart and it should provide the bacteria needed to keep those Nitrites down.

I was in a similar situation and now if I have a mini-cycle for whatever reason, I add safestart and it levels everything out. You dont want your fish living in that environment and nitrites cause brown blood disorder and death. It stops their red blood cells from being able to absorb oxygen so they cant breathe.

Do a large water change, add TSS, (walmart has it for 6 bucks) and you should be on the right track.

Prime will also bind the nitrites, but only for 24 hours and then you have to retreat and do another water change if you go that route.

To answer your question Caliban07,

I don't have any experience but I did get much information from this forum.

The fish are very active, their colors are not fading, I don't see any heavy breathing and all their fins look good. They also feed well. When I come to the glass they gather and beg for food.

I think all is good.

Ok. Sounds like you're nearly done. You just do water changes to keep nitrites under control. Observing the fish is most important as laboured breathing, gasping colour fading, hanging near the filter are all signs of nitrite poisoning.

Your fish don't seem bothered and there is good reason for this but as a general rule we should always try to keep nitrites as close to 0 as possible. You don't need products. Just water changes.

Ok. Sounds like you're nearly done. You just do water changes to keep nitrites under control. Observing the fish is most important as laboured breathing, gasping colour fading, hanging near the filter are all signs of nitrite poisoning.

Your fish don't seem bothered and there is good reason for this but as a general rule we should always try to keep nitrites as close to 0 as possible. You don't need products. Just water changes.

Last question, I guess I'm somewhat anxious. I only had them a week and I'm already attached.

Is something like this a good idea or I’m I wasting my time? Simply keep up the large water changes add add Prime.

The box says “AquaClear 70 Ammonia Remover is ideal for new or heavily populated freshwater aquariums. It removes and controls harmful ammonia and nitrite, creating a healthy aquatic environment.”

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/Clip-On/A1416

Last question, I guess I'm somewhat anxious. I only had them a week and I'm already attached.

Is something like this a good idea or I’m I wasting my time? Simply keep up the large water changes add add Prime.

The box says “AquaClear 70 Ammonia Remover is ideal for new or heavily populated freshwater aquariums. It removes and controls harmful ammonia and nitrite, creating a healthy aquatic environment.”

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/Clip-On/A1416

In my honest opinion it's a waste of time.

You should test your tap water too by the way just in case your contributing to ammonia and nitrite when adding new water.

For now just change the water and dose prime.

Follow-up

I made a 40% water change each day with Prime for the last 3 days now. The results are…

Nitrites: no charge, about 3 ppm for every day.
Nitrates dropped by half, 20 ppm to 10 ppm.
The rest stay the same. Ph 8.2 and ammonia 0.0 ppm.

I know, I already said last question, sorry.
I read yesterday in a book that we should avoid water changes during fish in cycles, is this accurate?

By the way, my fish don’t show any signs of stress. It’s been 6 days since the high nitrite reading. How long should it take before the nitrites go down naturally?

Back
Top Bottom