High nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure the test kits you have work accurately with prime conditioner. It has been known to throw tests off. Google it.

bIGTIMER said:
Make sure the test kits you have work accurately with prime conditioner. It has been known to throw tests off. Google it.

It doesn't actually throw them off...what happens is that it doesn't differentiate between free ammonia and ammonium (which Prime converts it to). So even though Prime has detoxified the ammonia in the water...the API kit will still show it in there (since technically it is...just in a different form).

9/29/11 results:
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 10
ph 7.6

Same results as the past 2 days. Am I cycled?

9/29/11 results:
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 10
ph 7.6

Same results as the past 2 days. Am I cycled?

It looks like it. I'd keep testing the water for a while to be sure. Also don't let nitrates get over 20; depending on how fast they climb, 1-2 water changes per week should keep them down, providing ammonia and nitrite stay at 0. Good job! :)

Looks like you've done it. :D

I was in your same position a while back, it sucked doing so many pwc..

I agree...that's a cycled tank you've got there :)

Are you planning on moving your other fish over to this one...or do you have different plans for it?

I agree...that's a cycled tank you've got there :)

Are you planning on moving your other fish over to this one...or do you have different plans for it?

This tank is the one that had 3 platies in it (fish-in cycle). I am hoping to add 2 more platies (or 1 dwarf gourami) and a few ghost shrimps. The other tank (fishless cycle) gave signs of a completed cycle but I have to check for a few more days just to make sure (see that thread). I hope to have a dwarf gourami and some dwarf cories (hastatus) for that tank.
Should I be checking levels or doing pwc weekly to maintain my tank?
Thanks to everyone's help for their advices.

giants1249er said:
This tank is the one that had 3 platies in it (fish-in cycle). I am hoping to add 2 more platies (or 1 dwarf gourami) and a few ghost shrimps. The other tank (fishless cycle) gave signs of a completed cycle but I have to check for a few more days just to make sure (see that thread). I hope to have a dwarf gourami and some dwarf cories (hastatus) for that tank.
Should I be checking levels or doing pwc weekly to maintain my tank?
Thanks to everyone's help for their advices.

Oops, got your threads mixed up, lol. For now I'd continue testing once a day, do your weekly pwc, and after a week or two add another fish. You've got a very delicate balance of fish : bacteria...and the last thing you want to do is overload the filter again too quickly and be back where you were a few days ago...that wasn't fun I'm sure :)

Back
Top Bottom