How many fish can I safely have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhfish88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I’ve recently started my first fish tank, it’s 4foot and I’m wanting a variety of fish. However I don’t want to over crowd the tank. At the moment i have -
2x ghost knives
4x bristlenose catfish
6x black widows
2x phantom glass catfish
2x clown loaches
4x guppies

I want I add more because the tank still looks empty but I don’t know which ones to add out of-
2x gouramis
10x neons
6x Congo tetras
2x pakastani loach

Please help [emoji4] I feel like if I add to many it will ruin the tank but I need a few more. Any advice will be helpful thank you!

Last edited:
Usually the rule of thumb is about 1 gallon = 1 fish.

The knives will outgrow that tank and eventually eat those guppies, and glass cats are shy and need at least five to feel comfortable. I'd rethink the stock you have before adding anything else :/

Yes I understand they will grow and once they do I will sell them and buy small ones again and okay! Thank you for your help, I’ll reconsider my options

1inchgallonlol?

Usually the rule of thumb is about 1 gallon = 1 fish.
LOL 1 GALLON IS ONE FISH? THAT MEANS I CAN PUT 55 PIRANHAS IN A 55 GALLON. I THINK YOU MEAN 1 GALLON IS 1 INCH OF FISH BUT THATS ODD TOO BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE A 12 GALLON YOU CANT PUT A 12 INCH FISH IN THERE>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<:blink::banghead::banghead::blink:

Yeah, with today's more advanced filtration options, refined water conditioners, the 1" per gallon rule is more or less outdated. It comes down to common sense. Probably not good to keep a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank, but 20 Zebra Danios would be fine.

*Update on tank*
My black widows seemed to have nipped away at my guppies eventually killing them all.
Now I have -
6 black widows
2 ghost knives
2 clown loaches
1 glass catfish (one got sucked against my filter and died)
9 neons
And 4 bristle nose catfish, that small ones.
I was told black widows aren’t aggressive but seems to be that they are attacking the other fish.
My clown loaches are both hiding always and never come out, looking dull in colour aswell.
Any advice !?
I still want to get gouramis or Congo tetras.

If it's not your water parameters stressing your Clown Loaches, just might need a change in diet, something like Omega One cichlid sinking pellets. All my bottom feeders absolutely love it. They also do better in groups rather than pairs.
Given a choice between adding Gouramis or Congo Tetras, I'd go with the Congos. I've kept them in a 65 gal. before, they looked beautiful and lived for years. Better to keep at least 5.

I read you have glass catfish. Please note they are sensitive if alone or two even. They need a group of six and you will see there true beautiful school

Back
Top Bottom