I dont know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well....the high ammo may have been part of the problem...but even after knocking it down my ammo still isnt dropping at all on its own. Idk what to do. I used a whole bottle of dr tims one and only....and it just turned to white grains on the substrate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is frustrating. I've read through the thread quickly so I may have missed it - have you tested your PH?
If it's 6 or lower, that will slow down the bacteria's duplication drastically.

Also, (I don't know if this is true) overdosing with Prime or other dechlorinators might slow down the bacteria's duplication, so just double check you are adding the right amount.

Is there anything in your tank (decorations etc) that might be non-standard and leaching into the water?

Also - check the ammonia you are using.Make sure it's pure ammonia, and doesn't have soaps or surfactants added. If you shake the bottle, does it foam? If so, it's not right for cycling a tank. It should look like water, just bubble a little bit but not foam as though it's got soap inside it.

Hope you find a way, I know waiting for a cycle is super frustrating.

All that stuff is ok. Im dechlorinating with aquasafe+. Ph stays at about 7.8
Temp is fine.

Have you placed any decorations, plants or gravel or anything from an LFS which will have bacteria on? This will all help to get them going.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No....my lfs doesnt give away teir decorations. Not sure if it relevant, but the plastic plants i put in the tank have turned my filter pink.

Hmmm. Do you know anyone else with a fish tank anywhere near you who would give you a piece of colonised filter media? I'm stumped!

No im gonna see if some one in the local forum can...or one of the friends ive made on here

The pair of rasboras I cycled my tank with are the hardiest fish in my tank 3 years later. I'd go the store this weekend and buy a pair of hardy fish, and a plant or two if you haven't already.

Put me in the school of keeping things simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+ 1

Fish in cycle is way easier and as long as you don't over load the tank it will work wonders. I got 4 rasboras for my 29 gal and they are still alive and well! The have even lived through some infections since then! Wonderful fish to start with!

I actually had two German Rams also that lived through the cycle and they are not by any means hearty fish. That is what testing and very frequent water changes can do. However, I would not do that again... There was a lot of hair pulling and stress after I figured out just how sensitive of fish they were.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the ammonia isn't dropping after dosing then how will adding fish do anything? It's just going to mean daily water changes and more of a headache.

Azure - what ppm ammonia is the tank at now?

Its holding at 4ppm

I'm a newbie myself so I'm sure someone more qualified will have more to say but I would personally focus on finding some colonised media. Beg for some from somewhere! Or go to your LFS and buy a planted bogwood. Something that's been in one of their tanks which will have bacteria on. Anything like that will help.

Hey, I had this problem. Then I read on a forum that if your ph is too low that the nitrifying bacteria you need will not survive!! Your ph needs to be around 7.6 I read. Anything below 6 and you'll have problems with your cycle surviving or even getting started.

Then I upped my ph with baking soda and wow I got nitrite readings 2 days later!!!:) then a week later my tank was cycled and I was so happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom