I don't understand! Ammonia issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiwimuffin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank. I added water, water conditioner, etc. have the filter going (a brand new $60 filter!) and using some new/some used gravel, all clean. I left a little water in the tank from the person who gave it to me, as they had a fish in there for MANY years and I assumed the water was well established. Less than a gallon of water. Maybe a 1/2 gallon??
Anyways, It's been running for about a week to a week and a half and I tested the ammonia levels. They were super high! I have no idea why. There are no fish in the tank at all. I have had this happen before, too. Right out of the tap the ammonia is okay, then within a half hour it is at dangerous levels. I assume this is what kept killing our bettas (in a 10 gallon..a group of females) a while back. I am so frustrated! How do I get the water to be perfect for fish?
Also, is it normal for the water level to drop quickly? It seems I add more water daily to keep the filter from making a LOT of noise returning the water to the tank. I'm losing my mind!
One more thing. Once the tank is ready to go, what fish are appropriate for a 55gal? I know the general rule is 1gal per inch of fish for the smaller guys, but I don't think that would apply to much larger fish?

I have a 55 gallon tank. I added water, water conditioner, etc. have the filter going (a brand new $60 filter!) and using some new/some used gravel, all clean. I left a little water in the tank from the person who gave it to me, as they had a fish in there for MANY years and I assumed the water was well established. Less than a gallon of water. Maybe a 1/2 gallon??
Anyways, It's been running for about a week to a week and a half and I tested the ammonia levels. They were super high! I have no idea why. There are no fish in the tank at all. I have had this happen before, too. Right out of the tap the ammonia is okay, then within a half hour it is at dangerous levels. I assume this is what kept killing our bettas (in a 10 gallon..a group of females) a while back. I am so frustrated! How do I get the water to be perfect for fish?
Also, is it normal for the water level to drop quickly? It seems I add more water daily to keep the filter from making a LOT of noise returning the water to the tank. I'm losing my mind!
One more thing. Once the tank is ready to go, what fish are appropriate for a 55gal? I know the general rule is 1gal per inch of fish for the smaller guys, but I don't think that would apply to much larger fish?

You sound like me a few weeks ago!! First, don't top off the tank with more water. Do a water change instead. Yes. it is more work, but you will lower the ammonia level while doing it. Adding water from another tank is not much help. You have to let the bacteria form in the filter. Don't change the filter until it can't filter anymore. I swish mine out in the water I suck out for a change. If you don't have any fish, I would just let it run through the cycle. First the ammo. levels will be high, then the nitrites and than the nitrates. Mine took 3 weeks, with fish in the tank. I use PRIME when my levels are high and can't change it as soon as I would like. Plants help with the nitrates too. You say that your filter needs more water in the tank to run? Your filter should be a few inches above the bottom of the tank. Are there any extensions? The rule of 1 inch per gal. is a good rule to go with. My kid has a 55 gal. tank. 6 giant dainos, 5 kissing gouramis 2 chinese algae eaters, 6 platies and a bunch of shrimp with three nerita snails. When choosing your tank mates (fish) read A LOT about the ones you want! Then decide, and if needed you can post it on here and the real experts will help you! Hope I have helped a little. Just be patient! Heidi

The filter runs fine when the water level goes down a bit (although the filter doesn't go too far into the water and no extensions) but I absolutely cannot stand the sound of the water exiting the filter and pouring back into the tank. It is just too loud for me, so I generally fill it so the water going back in is silent.

Water doesn't contain much bacteria so the water itself won't help much. You don't seem to be adding ammonia, correct? How are you planning to cycle the tank? Letting it run won't cycle it, the tank needs an ammonia source to start the cycle. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

What test kit are you using? Are you adding any chemicals to the tank, or bacteria starters? Any rocks in there that you found outside? What substrate are you using (some have been known to leech ammonia)?

The 1" per gallon rule is outdated. For a tank of that size you have a lot of options though.

In respect to your water level dropping quickly, is this happening in a 24hr period of time or over days? Did you check the tank for leaks before using it? You mentioned that it was used for many years before you acquired it and I have to wonder it the seals are still fully intact. I would also check that the filter(s) are not leaking anywhere. What type of lights does it have? Hefty lighting can make water evaporate faster as well as a very dry environment/climate. Does the tank have a lid? This will help to limit evaporation as well assuming there are no leaks.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Has been a busy few days.
The tank has no leaks. The old filter did, so I swapped it for a new one. I think our house is just "dry" so it's taking water from the tank. It's been running 2 days without needing water and I only needed about a gallon last time when I added the water. The light had not been on at all. I did have rocks from outside in my old tank, but none in this one. Using some cheaper decorations (A log, a "hut" and a fake rubber plant) but they are a couple years old and have been used quite a bit, washed many times and seem okay. Our substrate is just aquarium rocks..some new (blue), some older(white, black, and brown) I added a few live plants yesterday that were in a tank at the pet store and checked the ammonia. Seems to be dropping.
I'm not sure the name of the water conditioner I added since I used the last of the bottle and tossed it. I know it was a brand highly recommended by the betta forum I used to be on though.

Back
Top Bottom