I need a lot of help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am kinda new to the hobby and i need some help.
I would like to start my tank by doing a lot of research first.

currently i have a 20g high tank. I plan on putting about 10 neon tetras, 1 bamboo shrimp, and the rest will be red cherry shrimp or other dwarf shrimps.

i need to know what kind of filter i need to have. I just bought an aqua clear 30 today and i wanna see if that good enough or i need to get an aqua clear 50 or would that just be overkilling it?

i also would like to know what kind of substrate i should have for my shrimps. I currently have big large substrate (the ones you get from petco with its natural colors) that's about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch per rock. do i need a smaller substrate?

Another thing is what circulation pump should i use for this tank for my bamboo shrimp. i know he wants a current or would my power filter already make that current without a pump?

advices would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Paulcm10 said:
Hi I am kinda new to the hobby and i need some help.
I would like to start my tank by doing a lot of research first.

currently i have a 20g high tank. I plan on putting about 10 neon tetras, 1 bamboo shrimp, and the rest will be red cherry shrimp or other dwarf shrimps.

i need to know what kind of filter i need to have. I just bought an aqua clear 30 today and i wanna see if that good enough or i need to get an aqua clear 50 or would that just be overkilling it?

i also would like to know what kind of substrate i should have for my shrimps. I currently have big large substrate (the ones you get from petco with its natural colors) that's about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch per rock. do i need a smaller substrate?

Another thing is what circulation pump should i use for this tank for my bamboo shrimp. i know he wants a current or would my power filter already make that current without a pump?

advices would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

An AC 30 should be fine. Add a sponge over the intake. Fluval Edge sponge prefilters should fit well, or cut a sponge to fit.

Sand or small substrate is better, otherwise the food falls in between. You could add smaller gravel or a layer of sand ( the sand will eventually end up on the bottom, but you could add more later, or swap it out now.

FYI Neons can be relentless hunters of Shrimp. CPDs ( Celestial Pearl Danios ) might be a better choice. Mine are fine with adult Shrimp. Or skip dwarf Shrimp and get Amanos, if you really want Neons.

Shrimp need live plants.

Flow for your Bamboo can come from your filter, but plan on spot feeding also. Give it something to cling to in or near the outflow.

Shrimp need stable, cycled tanks with very good water parameters. Weekly PWCs.

see i was told that i need an AC50 because over time the filter wears off.

and add smaller substrate? with my big substrate that i have?

i was told that neon tetras are probably the best since they don't grow too big.
I have seen videos on youtube that has neon tetras and red cherry shrimps but ill try to find some celestials down here. i don't know if petco or petsmart sell them though

Back
Top Bottom