Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exclamation Is my tank cycled?

I'm about 4 weeks in on my fishless cycle. For the last 4-5 days my ammonia has been at 0 and nitrites have been low, but not yet 0. I've continued to dose my 55 gal with 2 tsp of ammonia each day since it read 0 for ammonia. Today, my ammonia and nitrites were both zero.

The reason I'm not sure I'm cycled is that my nitrates are only at 5. Shouldn't they be at some huge amount? I thought nitrates were supposed to spike way up?

I'm pretty excited that my ammonia and nitrites are at 0, but not going overboard yet because I'm puzzled by the nitrate reading.

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am still learning as well, but sure sounds like it has Cycled.
Best way to know, is to wait a few days, and keep up the daily testing. When you confirm that your Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, and you're still showing a Nitrate level, If I were you, I'd pop the bottle of Champagne..
But, then again, I am still very "Rookie"

Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds to me like you are cycled. If you are dosing ammonia every day and it is going to zero every day, then it is cycled and time for fish!!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

do a partial water change until your nitrite level goes to 0 ppm.if it goes to 0 ppm then your tank is completely cycled..
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrites did go to zero.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I can't wait. Just seems weird that my nitrates are so low. Every fishless cycle article I've read states that you need to a huge water change before adding fish because nitrates will be out of control. I guess I won't have to do that. I'm going to dose ammonia and test for 2 more days probably just to make sure ammonia and nitrites stay at 0.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com