Is my tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about 4 weeks in on my fishless cycle. For the last 4-5 days my ammonia has been at 0 and nitrites have been low, but not yet 0. I've continued to dose my 55 gal with 2 tsp of ammonia each day since it read 0 for ammonia. Today, my ammonia and nitrites were both zero.

The reason I'm not sure I'm cycled is that my nitrates are only at 5. Shouldn't they be at some huge amount? I thought nitrates were supposed to spike way up?

I'm pretty excited that my ammonia and nitrites are at 0, but not going overboard yet because I'm puzzled by the nitrate reading.

Thanks.

I am still learning as well, but sure sounds like it has Cycled.
Best way to know, is to wait a few days, and keep up the daily testing. When you confirm that your Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, and you're still showing a Nitrate level, If I were you, I'd pop the bottle of Champagne..
But, then again, I am still very "Rookie"

Sounds to me like you are cycled. If you are dosing ammonia every day and it is going to zero every day, then it is cycled and time for fish!!

do a partial water change until your nitrite level goes to 0 ppm.if it goes to 0 ppm then your tank is completely cycled..

Thanks, I can't wait. Just seems weird that my nitrates are so low. Every fishless cycle article I've read states that you need to a huge water change before adding fish because nitrates will be out of control. I guess I won't have to do that. I'm going to dose ammonia and test for 2 more days probably just to make sure ammonia and nitrites stay at 0.

Back
Top Bottom