large fish add to small community???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatachimog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys,
this is just a hypothetical,
i have 8 mollys
1- pleco
1-mystery snail
1-dwarf frog
..i was wondering would adding a large fish like not too big but one that would stick out of the crowd, be too much for my tank and would the other fish be scared?:ermm:

hey guys,
this is just a hypothetical,
i have 8 mollys
1- pleco
1-mystery snail
1-dwarf frog
..i was wondering would adding a large fish like not too big but one that would stick out of the crowd, be too much for my tank and would the other fish be scared?:ermm:

What are the dimensions of the tank? What kind of pleco?
Have you considered a small gourami like a honey?

Just be careful with dwarf gouramis. They need a large tank with lots of plants and hiding spaces. If you get 2 males one will bully the other. I took the bullied back and the bulky started on my next biggest fish!

I now have 2 honey gouramis and I haven't seen any aggression so far.

hmm! Opalines are awsome! one of my fav gouramies! I took two of them into work though because they one got to about 5-6 inches and the other 3-4 inches! Biggest two groumies ive seen in my life, and I work at a pond, fw, and reef store lol!
Hell I think they were bigger than that but I dont want someone to laugh at me saying that they dont get that big lol! I dont know much about gouramies but man... monstroufish lol check em out! Honeys, Dwarfs, Opaline, and sooo many more!

I agree that we need to know tank size before making any real suggestions. With 8 mollies and a pleco you're probably close to if not already over stocked, but the only way to know for sure is to know the size of you tank. Plecos are some of the biggest bio-load fish in the freshwater world and depending on the species, get very large. Mollies are also pretty heavy on the bioload and get 3-5 inches.

If you have a infinite amount of tank space, there are lots of options. Gourami seems to be one of the standard answers around here. They are great fish, but can be territorial, so 1 male to 2 females if you want more than one.

Pearl (lace) gourami. Quite large, peaceful and beautifully coloured when in good condition

I have a similar stock list. I have 10 mollies, some green corys, 3 mystery snails, and a small school of zebra danios. I have a male GBR who stands out, and have recently added 4 female bettas which really pop when the light hits them just right.

Back
Top Bottom