Log for 10g fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today when I got home:

Ammo: 1.0
NitrIte: 0
Nitrate: didn't test.

Ok so I am gonna do 3 water changes 50% each. That should drop it from 1.0 to .5/.25/untraceable.

I need a bigger bucket.

Day 9:
Ammo 0.50
NitrIte 0.00

Got good and uncertain news concerning my tank today. The uncertain first.
My wife brought home 3 neon tetras from a lfs. Not sure what to think here.

Good news. The same lfs gave me an old filter for me to cram in the filter housing. :)
She also said she would special order for me at no extra cost and could get most anything. :)

At Pet Land in Clarksville, TN they were pretty knowledgeable and recommended the API master test kit, seachem prime, and fishless cycling. She also said that if/ when my mollies breed she would be glad to take them off my hands.

TheJT said:
At Pet Land in Clarksville, TN they were pretty knowledgeable and recommended the API master test kit, seachem prime, and fishless cycling. She also said that if/ when my mollies breed she would be glad to take them off my hands.

Wow. That's almost worth driving from VA to TN to wittness for myself. Glad you found one of the rare ones out there. You should post in the merchant review section of the site so other members can learn about them :)

Day 10

1 day after adding the old filter my lfs gave me it appears I am having some trace amounts of NitrItes show up. My test is a darker blue than normal but not quite a purpelish color. I'll attach a photo for your assessments.

Ammo .50
Nitrite < .25
Nitrate 5.0 = to what's in my tap water.

Maybe if you stare at it hard enough...still looks baby blue to me. I guess it may be a shade darker...zero really is sky blue.

Remember to not let the ammo climb much higher than it is ;-)

Did 2 50% water changes after those readings. Maybe it's just me. Lol maybe my eyes are just eager to see purple lol. It just looked slightly darker. :p

Wanted to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me so I did another test vs a control (tap water). See what y'all think. I still a difference just not a very big one. Like Eco said maybe just a shade darker.

Attachments

• image-404982737.jpg
    image-404982737.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 71
Arrg. This was after 2 water changes. Not gonna be the same result. Guess I'll just check tomorrow eve.

Day 11:

Ammo .50
NitrIte < .25 (I think)
NitrAte didn't test.

Posting 2 pics. One of results and another of NitrIte from tank vs control (tap) should be 0.

Lemme know your thoughts.

Attachments

• image-3649424947.jpg
    image-3649424947.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2272524096.jpg
    image-2272524096.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 89
Looks like nitrite is in-between 0 and 0.25, so you might have some just not enough to turn it purple. Is this before or after a pwc? And you have fish, so I'd do another pwc of at least 50%, more if you can do it. I'm not sure when the last time you tested nitrates is either, but with fish you want to keep those levels under 20 too.

That was before my water changes. I'm going to do two of at least 50% each. I checked Nitrates yesterday and they were at 5 ppm. Same as my tap water. So not much to report there. Fortunately the fish look happy.

That was before my water changes. I'm going to do two of at least 50% each. I checked Nitrates yesterday and they were at 5 ppm. Same as my tap water. So not much to report there. Fortunately the fish look happy.

You're doing a great job (y) I admire your diligence in keeping the tank safe for your fish. I'm sure they are happy!

Looks like a shrimp exploded in my tank.
:(
My only guess is that it was in the impeller. I saw a piece of a tail from a ghost shrimp. I hope it had already died a less horrible death.

are you sure it's not a molting?

One of my local petsmart's has a worker in it that is really knowledgeable also, I saw her recommend someone a liquid kit, and even explained overstocking. I know the inch/gallon thing isn't very accurate, but it's a good basic guideline for most smaller fish.

So good LFS workers do exist, it's just as common as a leprechaun riding a unicorn across a rainbow.

No. Lol. I'm not sure. But it sure looks like something exploded. There are little white pieces everywhere.

Day 12:

Ammo .50
NitrItes .25
NitrAtes 5 ppm

So after those readings I did a 75% PWC. Still no sign of the shrimp. Also lost a neon tetra to the filter intake. Getting sponges tomorrow. Hate losing fish like that. Hate losing em at all but I could understand old age or something like that.

Day 13:

Bad news first. Lost another neon to the filter before I could get home with the sponges. Also lost my swordtail for no apparent reason. Last night he was eating and swimming. When I get home from work he was lying on the gravel dead. Current stock now:
1 Mickey Mouse platy
2 Mollies
1 emerald Cory cat (can't wait to get this in a school)
2 cherry barbs
1 neon tetra.

Now for the stats
Ammo: .25
NitrItes: .25 - .50

1 60% PWC today.

I added 2 plants today. 1 amazon sword and an anubias nana. Whatcha think?

TheJT said:
Day 13:
Whatcha think?

I think you're doing everything you can and I respect and applaud you for it.

Picking up some fast growing plants like Anacharis might also be a help. With enough of them they can help keep your ammonia in check.

Keep it up ;)

Back
Top Bottom