Missing Ghost Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpop2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently moved my betta and 2 green emerald catfish into a new tank, this one with sand instead of gravel (so my catfish can dig and burrow).

Today I brought home 3 ghost shrimp. Everything seemed to be fine for the first 5 hours. My betta and catfish would swim up to the shrimp out of curiousity, but they never gave me reason to worry. Until now. :(

My 3 ghost shrimp are nowhere to be found. Is it possible they dug into the sand?

Also, I'm a bit puzzled when it comes to tank accessories. What kind of plants/rocks should I buy for my community??? There is just too much to choose from...

From what I have read about ghost shrimp is that they have probably burrowed into the sand. This is normal behavior.

My ghost shrimp are on a gravel substrate so they don't burrow.

That's a relief!

I have an empty tank, so I was hoping I might have been able to rescue any survivors in case of an attack.

Thanks for your help!

I would not be surprised if the betta killed/ate them and the cories helped clean up the mess.

As far as decorations, buy what you like. There are plenty of cheap options. Small clay flower pots are always nice for small caves. Half bury them in the sand, or even break them into pieces. If you don't want the hassle of real plants, there are some pretty good looking silk plants out there.

Back
Top Bottom