My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JimmyA said:
I have done that. I thought it would be a slower way of introducing the water without turning everything upside down in your tank. When I just pour the water in, it displaces all my substrate. Just a thought if you want to try that.

Yeah that's what I didn't want happening, I've got a siphon to get the water out so I'll just use the same one to put it bk in. Gonna try it next time. Just can't wait to get my fish I'm gettin bored of looking at an empty tank lol.

Took me over a month to cycle. Waiting is a pain but worth it in the end. I just have a 20 gallon, may get a 55 gallon someday. If you try the bucket above the aquarium, be careful. I was lucky the bucket didn't fall!

JimmyA said:
Took me over a month to cycle. Waiting is a pain but worth it in the end. I just have a 20 gallon, may get a 55 gallon someday. If you try the bucket above the aquarium, be careful. I was lucky the bucket didn't fall!

Yeah I hear its about a month to cycle, think I'm on day 24 now so hopefully not too much longer. I used to have a 10 gallon which lasted about 2months before I wanted a new and bigger one, I wanna get a bigger one someday and do a saltwater tank. And I'll be careful not to spill the bucket, really don't want a swimming pool in my front room lol.

JimmyA said:
How many gallon do you have now?

The tank I got now is 32(uk) 38 (us) gallon, i was gonna do a salt water setup with this one but as I'm new to this addictive hobby I'm gonna start with freshwater. U got any pics of ur tank?? What fish u got in there??

Well, I have:
2 black molly
2 red platy
1 dwarf gourami
6 danio chapre
2 Mickey mouse platy
Then I have some orange, amano, and plan to get some cherry red shrimp. Attached is a picture.

Attachments

• image-2882350144.jpg
    image-2882350144.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91
If you've got nitrites rising and ammonia dropping that's a great sign! You're probably very close!

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said, but you could try buying an Aqueon Water changer (Amazon has them). I bought one recently and it's great, you just attach it to your faucet and you can refill water and suck water out from it without buckets.

JimmyA said:
Well, I have:
2 black molly
2 red platy
1 dwarf gourami
6 danio chapre
2 Mickey mouse platy
Then I have some orange, amano, and plan to get some cherry red shrimp. Attached is a picture.

U got a nice selection of fish there, looks nice. do u know the name of that plant in the back left corner?? I like the look of that.

libraygirl said:
If you've got nitrites rising and ammonia dropping that's a great sign! You're probably very close!

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said, but you could try buying an Aqueon Water changer (Amazon has them). I bought one recently and it's great, you just attach it to your faucet and you can refill water and suck water out from it without buckets.

I hope so, can't wait to get fish :) I've searched everywhere for a water changer with no luck I had a look on amazon but I'm in the uk and I don't think they stock or even sell the water changer on there anymore. :(

The plant in the left back is called sword plant. The one right in front of that is wisteria. BTW, I just installed a 55 watt 6500 k light to support the plants. The light
that came with my tank was only 15 watts! Plus I made a homemade co2 infuser which I hope will help.

JimmyA said:
The plant in the left back is called sword plant. The one right in front of that is wisteria. BTW, I just installed a 55 watt 6500 k light to support the plants. The light
that came with my tank was only 15 watts! Plus I made a homemade co2 infuser which I hope will help.

Yeah don't think I could have them plants my lights only give out 3watts I'll probably upgrade them soon but for now they'll have to do. :)

Day 25 of the fishless cycle, 24hrs after dosing ammo bk up to 4.0ppm water test results are
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :(

Anywhere around a month is average. Ask Jimmy...he was freaking out a bit himself and finished around day 30-31. When no2 comes down...it happens in a flash, like overnight. You'll just have to wait and expect a surprise one morning in the next few days.

eco23 said:
Anywhere around a month is average. Ask Jimmy...he was freaking out a bit himself and finished around day 30-31. When no2 comes down...it happens in a flash, like overnight. You'll just have to wait and expect a surprise one morning in the next few days.

Yeah I think I'm just bein impatient, I do that sometimes lol. Can't wait to test nitrite and see the blue colour again gettin sick of this purple one lol

Here's how fishless cycling works-
1) see green
2) beg for yellow
3) hate the color blue
4) get desperate to see purple
5) then form an eternal hatred for the color purple
6) be willing to sell your soul to see blue again
7) see yellow, blue and orange
8) celebrate :)

eco23 said:
Here's how fishless cycling works-
1) see green
2) beg for yellow
3) hate the color blue
4) get desperate to see purple
5) then form an eternal hatred for the color purple
6) be willing to sell your soul to see blue again
7) see yellow, blue and orange
8) celebrate :)

Hahahaha i like that, that should be on the end of ur fishless cycling thread lol

Then if you want plants, look for plants that require low or no light for now. You can use fertilizer tabs and insert them close to the roots.

JimmyA said:
Then if you want plants, look for plants that require low or no light for now. You can use fertilizer tabs and insert them close to the roots.

Yeah I've been looking at all the low light plant names on the net just can't get many pictures of the actual plant lol think I need to get the laptop out. Thanks

I wasn't and still am not having too much luck with plants yet. My new light helps some. Plus my fert tabs help some. Plus I made sugar and yeast in a bottle to make co2 in my tank. Just playing around untill I become a professional... Ha Ha!

Day 26 of fishless cycle. Like a doughnut I forgot to top the ammonia back up yesterday, so got home today and tested and got
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Jus topped the ammo bk up to 4.0ppm. Try again tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom