My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JimmyA said:
My cycle took 35 days, I think, would have to check my records. You are getting close to the end.

Cool, so I'm around the time when it should finish up cycling :) that's good to hear, hopefully see some
Change in the next few days!

Day 31 after 90% water change
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :O
Didn't test nitrate. Shall I do another water change tomorrow to get nitrite down to .5-1??

Chris22 said:
Day 31 after 90% water change
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :O
Didn't test nitrate. Shall I do another water change tomorrow to get nitrite down to .5-1??

Personally I'd just let it ride. There's some info out there that super high no2 can be detrimental to the BB...I don't doubt it, but I've never personally seen proof either. I know for a fact there's tons of people that have never done a single pwc during the entire cycle and finished perfectly (personally I only did one halfway though).

I tend to believe that stalls are usually caused by the BB using up the buffers and nutrients in the water...but the toxic no2 ranges, again, are possible. A water change here and there will help restore those things and might even shave a couple days off...but I'd let it keep going for a while. Chances are even if you knock them back down now, they'll just be back at 5+ by tomorrow anyway, lol.

eco23 said:
Personally I'd just let it ride. There's some info out there that super high no2 can be detrimental to the BB...I don't doubt it, but I've never personally seen proof either. I know for a fact there's tons of people that have never done a single pwc during the entire cycle and finished perfectly (personally I only did one halfway though).

I tend to believe that stalls are usually caused by the BB using up the buffers and nutrients in the water...but the toxic no2 ranges, again, are possible. A water change here and there will help restore those things and might even shave a couple days off...but I'd let it keep going for a while. Chances are even if you knock them back down now, they'll just be back at 5+ by tomorrow anyway, lol.

Yeah I agree, I know for a fact it'll just go back up within a day lol I think I'll leave it then and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Chris, you should be getting pretty close now! Let me know when to break out the champagne!

JimmyA said:
Chris, you should be getting pretty close now! Let me know when to break out the champagne!

I hope so lol. And I will do, i think I'll have a house party that day lol

Every time I see your thread pop up, I expect smiley faces and dancing fish emoticons, lol. I expect I'll see that very soon :)

eco23 said:
Every time I see your thread pop up, I expect smiley faces and dancing fish emoticons, lol. I expect I'll see that very soon :)

Lol you'll see them Alrite lol. And I hope so, I can't be too long away now surely.

Chris22 said:
Day 33
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm

Where are the smiley faces and dancing fish!? Haha. Soon Enough :)

Everything seems to happen at the same time, and recently everyone's been finishing up between day 30-35...so I'd bet this is just about the end for you.

You could always go on the hunt for a piece of established media which would basically put a conclusion to your cycle...but I think the finish line is within sight regardless.

eco23 said:
Where are the smiley faces and dancing fish!? Haha. Soon Enough :)

Everything seems to happen at the same time, and recently everyone's been finishing up between day 30-35...so I'd bet this is just about the end for you.

You could always go on the hunt for a piece of established media which would basically put a conclusion to your cycle...but I think the finish line is within sight regardless.

Haha, I was hoping to be seeing a Blue test tube lo. l tried to get a piece of established media at the start of the cycle but no joy, was even tempted to run behind the back of the tanks at my lfs and 'borrow' a piece lol

Do a partial water change and dose to 2 ppm ammonia, your close.

JimmyA said:
Do a partial water change and dose to 2 ppm ammonia, your close.

To be honest I don't think a pwc would make a difference, the last one didn't change anything, if I haven't had any change over the weekend I'll do one Monday. I Gotta psyche myself up to carry all the buckets lol.

Day 35
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :(
It's been 26 days now since I've had 5.0+ppm nitrite.

Well, I was monkeying around with my tank at day 34 or 35 and changed some water and on day 36 was cycled, but you are right, probably doesn't make any difference at this point. Give it more time. Took me 36 days with my seeded sponge!

Back
Top Bottom