My fishless cycle log (fast forwarded some)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
So... I'm on day 21 today of my cycle. Want to give the run-down, get whatever input I can.

- Ammonia 4ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 5ppm (I contain some in my tap water)
- pH around 8

Setup:
* 29 gallong tank
* 86 degrees in the water with heater going
* Filter splashing down making lots of bubbles, and 2 air stone strips creating tons of bubbles
* Aqeuon 30 filter

I got seeded media and substrate from a friend a week or 10 days ago, no real impact. Have since learned he doesn't use dechlorinator in his water, so not sure if the BB were really there. His tank has been up for 5 years though with the same fish the entire time, so no clue on that. Either way, doesn't seem to have helped.

Next steps:

* Going to purchase an aqua clear 70 filter tomorrow and get that up and running in the tank.
* Also going to get an active sponge filter as well on order tomorrow.
* DOING A 50% PWC TOMORROW TO REPLENISH THE NUTRIENTS IN THE WATER
* RE-DOSING BACK TO 4PPM AMMONIA AND ADDING A TAD OF FISHFOOD.

Questions:
1. Should I use both aqueon and aqua clear filter or just aqua clear?
2. Should I always keep the sponge filter in the tank or just until it's cycled?
3. Having all 3 would be over kill I'd imagine... so something's got to give.

I'll keep you posted on the daily activity as things progress (or stay frozen as they seem to be hah)

I honestly would keep both filters on there, but this is just my personal opinion. I keep the filters from my smaller tanks on my main tank to keep the bb alive when the tanks are not in use. This way i have an instantly cycled tank in event i need it (if i find fish i really love & have to have!). If you plan on keeping messy fish (goldfish), the extra filtration is almost a necessity.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll go ahead and keep both. What about adding the active filter if I do order that today? Once I'm fully cycled, I obviously want to keep it active, so I suppose It'll have to stay as well... would make 3 filters... that to much overkill?

It's going to be a cichlid tank btw... no goldfish ;)

Yeah it's the Angels Plus active sponge filter... few folks have had good results with them. I just think it "might" be a tad much if I have both HOB running & and sponge.

I have three filters on my tank. I have an AquaClear HOB, an internal Fluval U2 and a seeded sponge from Angels Plus so I think it's fine if you did the same. Hopefully someone can take a look at the cycle and see if there's something I'm missing. I would have expected ammonia to be dropping by now, at least.

What are you using to dechlorinate your water? Make sure you dosing for the entire tank, not just the amount changed during pwcs. What are you using as your source of ammonia?

What are you using to dechlorinate your water? Make sure you dosing for the entire tank, not just the amount changed during pwcs. What are you using as your source of ammonia?

You know, this honestly might be my issue. It's just my LFS branded dechlorinator. I've been adding a tad more than they suggested (they say 5ml per 10 gallons... so 1 capful per 10 gallons, I've been treating my tank as a 30 gallon and adding 3 full capfuls (15ml) for my entire tank).

It seems to have the same ingredients as the aqueon branded stuff (which I also have as it came with my tank kit).

I put an order in for some prime today from amazon which will be here wednesday (I get free 2-day delivery). Also my 2 new heaters for my beta tanks and my aqua clear 70 filter for the 29 gallon will all be here on Wednesday.

Today I'm doing the 50% water change to replenish nutrients to see if that helps at all. Re-dosing to 4ppm and a splash of fish food.

DAY 22:
* Ammonia: 2-3-ish ppm ammonia
* NO2: Didn't check
* NO3: Didn't check
* pH: Didn't check (my tap water hangs around 8-8.2-ish, my tank has always been this

So, I just did my 50% PWC in my tank to replenish my nutrients as I haven't really seen any movement at all. I am kind of shocked to see that my ammonia is still around 2-3ppm... which leads me to believe I overdosed my ammonia the entire time. I SWORE it looked like 4ppm and NO darker! I apparently cannot tell much difference.

It may even be between 1 and 2ppm... but since I don't want to overdose it again, I'm going to let it sit like that until tomorrow and check again, see if it drops any.

My Seachem Prime will be here Wednesday, and my new Aquaclear 70 Filter will be here then also. Probably be ordering one of the active sponge filters as well to help out.

I guess I won't be going all the way to 4ppm (as I can't seem to keep it that low).. thoughts?

I'm using the janitorial grade ammonia from Ace Hardware, basically what most everybody else uses. It has no surfactants at all, and no bubbles upon shaking.

It's hard to tell the difference between the greens on that API test, at least for me. Are you holding the tubes against the card or hovering it over? According to the instructions it should be held against the white part of the card and then match the color as best as you can. A good light source can help as well.

Leaving it where it is is fine.

Did you add dechlorinator with that water change? Until you get the Prime, just use whatever you have otherwise it's basically like throwing bleach into the tank.

It's hard to tell the difference between the greens on that API test, at least for me. Are you holding the tubes against the card or hovering it over? According to the instructions it should be held against the white part of the card and then match the color as best as you can. A good light source can help as well.

Leaving it where it is is fine.

Did you add dechlorinator with that water change? Until you get the Prime, just use whatever you have otherwise it's basically like throwing bleach into the tank.
Yeah I added aqueon conditioner.

Wednesday I'll have the prime and the new filter. I'm buying the active sponge too tonight.

New filter for the 29 gallon (AC70), and the Prime both arrive today (along with two new heaters for my betas' 5 gallon tanks).... I'm excited.

I'll updated again on ammonia tonight.

Oh, I also ordered the active sponge filter as well last night which ships out today should be here Thursday.

Well today my AC70 came, along with my two new heaters, and my prime.

I'll test my ammonia again and update in a few

DAY 23:
AMMONIA: between 2ppm (maybe a 3 if it had it) (again, leaving it at that so I don't overdose accidentally
NO2: didn't test
NO3: didn't test
pH: didn't test

I installed the AC70 filter (what an amazing filter!!!) I decided to remove my aqueon 30 filter that came with the tank. I cut up all the filter media and put it into my AC70 filter so I'd get all my BB in the filter.

The reason I went this route is that I have an active sponge filter that will arrive on Thursday and I thought 3 filters was probably overkill for this tank and I really hated the aqueon 30 filter as it just had ONE spot for filter media and just felt like junk to me. I'm going to keep the active sponge filter and my AC70 in my 29 gallon, so I think they will give plenty of filtration. That AC70 moves 300GPH. Between the AC70 filter, 2 air stones (5" and 10") and the sponge filter, I think I have plenty of water movement and aeration.

I also dosed the tank with the prime I received as I added some more water for the new filter.

I'll check my ammonia again tomorrow, probably dose up if I have to, then await the active sponge filter.

If all this doesn't get my cycle kick-started, I'll be at a total loss. It's going on 4 weeks now.

it took about 1week for my active sponge filter from angelsplus to do something, then again i just put an air bubbler inside of it. But I saw NitrItes before My ammonia dropped. It was a rough ride for me. Im on day 35 now and hoping to be done today :) Good luck with your cycle!

DAY 24:
AMMONIA: between 1-2ppm - Dosed back up to 3-4ppm
NO2: 0
NO3: 5ppm (I contain it in my tap water)
pH: didn't test (always around 8-8.2)

My AC70 filter has been running for a day now. I've also been using the prime now as well for the conditioner.

My active sponge filter arrives today (out on truck for delivery). When I get home I'll be installing it, and then later this evening I'll test my parameters again (as today is technically day 25, I missed posting yesterday).

Hopefully I start seeing more movement in my ammonia levels. It's killing me!!! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything, or if I'm must having bad luck!

Hopefully this active sponge filter will help. I'll be hooking it up to an air pump and just leaving it in the tank full time (so my 29 gallon will have the AC70 and the sponge filter both for filtration).

One thing we've been playing around with recently is using mineral additives to aid in stubborn cycles. There's all sorts of nutrients / minerals / electrolytes which beneficial bacteria require to colonize, much in the same way they require ammonia. In theory, if your water is naturally lacking one or more of these required compounds...it could leave your cycle at a standstill. We've tried it with a couple members so far and have had good success. I couldn't guarantee it's the solution, but if you're up for experimenting a bit there's no downside to it. Products like Seachem Replenish and Kent's R/O-Rite are pretty cheap and widely available. They're normally used for people with pure RO or distilled water (completely stripped), and are designed to reconstitute all of the compounds the fish / bacteria require in home aquaria. Worth a shot IMO :)

One thing we've been playing around with recently is using mineral additives to aid in stubborn cycles. There's all sorts of nutrients / minerals / electrolytes which beneficial bacteria require to colonize, much in the same way they require ammonia. In theory, if your water is naturally lacking one or more of these required compounds...it could leave your cycle at a standstill. We've tried it with a couple members so far and have had good success. I couldn't guarantee it's the solution, but if you're up for experimenting a bit there's no downside to it. Products like Seachem Replenish and Kent's R/O-Rite are pretty cheap and widely available. They're normally used for people with pure RO or distilled water (completely stripped), and are designed to reconstitute all of the compounds the fish / bacteria require in home aquaria. Worth a shot IMO :)

Okay. So if I don't need the stuff it won't hurt correct? I imagine I just add it into the water per instructions (certain ml/gallon) and just let it go? Anything else special?

millerb7 said:
Okay. So if I don't need the stuff it won't hurt correct? I imagine I just add it into the water per instructions (certain ml/gallon) and just let it go? Anything else special?

Nope, just add in a normal dosage if you want to try it. Since you're not starting off with R/O or distilled water, just a minimum amount will be sufficient. There won't be any long term impact because when you do your massive post-cycle pwc it removes any traces just like when people use CC or aragonite to stabilize pH during a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom