Nanotank Update and Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all -- I've finally gotten the tank balanced, I think. The plants are all doing well (Crypts, Java ferns, moss balls, Java moss, and hornwort). I have 5 Corydoras pygmaeus, 4 - 6 Trichopsis pumila (I never see them all out at once), several Neocaridina davidi, and several Nerite snails (plus some ramshorn plant hitchhikers).

I needed to do my first trim on the hornwort today. The one problem I'm having is the growth of filamentous algae on the surface layer of the hornwort. I've removed a bunch of it manually, but I'm wondering if there's something else I should be doing. Is there a better way to control it?

As always, thanks for any insights or advice.

Larry

Hi all -- I've finally gotten the tank balanced, I think. The plants are all doing well (Crypts, Java ferns, moss balls, Java moss, and hornwort). I have 5 Corydoras pygmaeus, 4 - 6 Trichopsis pumila (I never see them all out at once), several Neocaridina davidi, and several Nerite snails (plus some ramshorn plant hitchhikers).

I needed to do my first trim on the hornwort today. The one problem I'm having is the growth of filamentous algae on the surface layer of the hornwort. I've removed a bunch of it manually, but I'm wondering if there's something else I should be doing. Is there a better way to control it?

As always, thanks for any insights or advice.

Larry

I'm going to assume the algae is some sort of hair algae given the description. Typically hair algae is directly attributable to too much light in my experience. Dialing your lights back to like 5 or 6 hours a day should help if you currently have them on for much longer. Another thing I've noticed is that dosing flourish excel can do a number on hair algae. I'd give that a try for a few weeks along with as much manual removal as you can. I like to use a stiff bristled toothbrush to work on hair algae. What size is the tank and what light do you have?

I'm going to assume the algae is some sort of hair algae given the description. Typically hair algae is directly attributable to too much light in my experience. Dialing your lights back to like 5 or 6 hours a day should help if you currently have them on for much longer. Another thing I've noticed is that dosing flourish excel can do a number on hair algae. I'd give that a try for a few weeks along with as much manual removal as you can. I like to use a stiff bristled toothbrush to work on hair algae. What size is the tank and what light do you have?

Yup, what he said!

I haven't used this brush yet but somewhere I believe I saw a suggestion of the long brush used to clean out reusable straws. Either that someone said something which made it pop into my mind, lol. For tight spaces, could be useful for nano tanks! And twirling it to grab as much as possible.

Thanks DallasCowboys18 and AutumnSky for responding. This is a tank I built 40 years ago; the dimensions are 12"H x 48"L x 6"W (Approximately 15 gallons). I have a 48" 2-bulb light fixture hanging directly above it with t8 6500K bulbs. Yes, I've been pouring the light to it to encourage plant growth. As I said in my original post, all plants, especially the hornwort, are thriving.

A couple of questions come to mind.

1. Is 5 - 6 hours of light sufficient for good plant growth? I'd always thought that plants needed more time than that for photosynthesis.

2. When you talk about using a stiff toothbrush or the small diameter "bottle" brush, do you use it like a rake across the surface to grab the algae. My first thought was, "How does one use a brush to scrub hornwort?" I'm thinking that's NOT what y'all were talking about doing.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Larry

Maybe not exactly scrubbing it... ;) When it is very bad, using your fingers. Just pulling out globs.

For smaller spots you can use the Straw cleaning brush.

Kind of like brushing your hair. Or how one would put on mascara - (you tube video lol) And a twirl motion to get it rolling around either brush.

Another option is remove manually, then pinch off the stems at the upper areas most affected and let the lower ones grow back in better with out the mass amount of algae. Used in combination with the Excel and reduced light it should help a lot. Keeping up with it's removal also.

I just saw a you tube with Oliver Knott talking about how a simple short (I think 6 hour) light period is enough to get steady slow growth and minimal maintenance without algae. I think it is the last tank he shows/gives an update for.

Back
Top Bottom