Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimglenwood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My hubby bought me a fish tank complete with fish right off the start for my birthday,while I wanted one, he bought me a 20 gallon full of goldfish and algae eaters, now all have died but two and all I ever have is a cloudy horrible water, it has been set up for almost two months now, it was treated for new tank syndrome and one of my fish had some kind of sore tht was treated too, I have done so many parital water changes it has become a chore, I am losing my ability to enjoy this tank what happened, does anyone know, other then the fact we are very inexperienced and asked all the wrong people for advice??? HELLLLP :n00b:

Can a moderator move this to fresh water? Thanks!

Sounds like your tank wasn't cycled properly, but if you post over in the Freshwater section of the forum, those folks will be able to help better than us "salties"!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the site, I'll move this to the FW section.
Hmmmm, posting in the SW side...is that a subliminal message? LOL!

Last edited:
Your situation isn't much different from how many others have gotten started.

You should have a water test kit - please post the results of your test. Also please list what equipment you have in and for your tank.

iF YOU READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE GETTING STARTED FORUM IT WII HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOUR FISH AND TO YOUR TANK. tHEN POST ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE. THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND ARE VERY HELPFUL.

OK first off don't panic, take a deep breath, and exhale counting to ten. Don't worry you came to the right place.

Secondly let's get a list of everything you have for your 20 gallon tank and what fish are left (type of algae eater?) what kind of filter do you have? any test kits? (paper strip or liquid drops?) All the equipment you use for the tank we need to know to help out more accurately.

If you have any test kits, test the water in the tank and the tap water you use to fill the tank back up and post results. Do you have city water or well water? If you don't have any test kits is there a local fish store (lfs) that will test the water for you or was this a walmart buy?

In the meantime go here and read the sitcky posts if you havent already. It will give you a lot of info and some understanding. Anything you don't understand just ask.

After we resolve these issues we can get into what type of tank you wanted to keep and if you should just start over.

Okay, I am embarassed to say this is a walmart jobbie Fisheggs!! Lol I have no idea what kind of filter I have but I do know I have two fancy goldfish left, one is like a lions head and the other is just big and fancy (god, can you ever tell I am a blonde,lol) the two algae eaters left are ugly and bumpy, lol, I do have an air stone, and some plastic plants and a couple of decos, nothing my biggest fish is now swimming straight up and down, I don't think even she is going to make it. should I start all over. it seems tht my ammonia levels are thru the roof, and I know they are not supposed to be, I have been careful with overfeeding, but everything else seems fine. Doesn this help at all, god I am glad I found this place!!!

If you want to keep gold fish then we should try to keep them alive as well as the algae eaters, but if they do die then it would be easiest and best to basically start over imo. (in my opinion) Just use this experience to learn from and it won't be a total waste.

To try to keep the fish you will have to do a pwc (partial water change) possibly every day as a chore for a while to keep your ammonia levels down. you didn't mention whether you had city or well water. if you have city water there is chlorine in the water which i believe kills the bacteria in the water that converts the ammonia to nitrite which in turn gets converted to nitrate as such your tank cycle may never complete and the ammonia that comes from the massive amounts of waste that gold fish produce will always build up. You will need to use a dechlorinater for the city water. Since i have well water i'm not sure about these and what would be the best to get and if what i just said is exactly correct so i hope someone who has more xp then me will correct this info if wrong.

One item that will help is a python (not the snake) water change system. click the link to see exactly what it is. python is kind of like kleenex though and there are other brand similar systems out there.

You will also have to get some water test kits. The liquid drop tests are more reliable and accurate than the paper strips all though a little more complicated but simple enough to use. the API master kit is a good start. make sure you get the one for freshwater and not saltwater. you might want to get a test kit for KH and GH (water hardness) but that isnt a necessity right now imo if the budget is tight.
These items are available at petsmart if you don't want to wait for shipping but i would suggest printing out the items online at petsmart.com and taking that to the store since they will match the price on their website instore. not sure if they will match competitors online prices but won't hurt to try so go prepared with big al's prices too. I linked to BigAl's on the items just to show you what they are. i am in no way affiliated with them and would suggest researching other websites for cheaper prices and buyer beware and all that stuff. just remember it's your money. i can say i have ordered from them once (no livestock) and everything was packaged well and they did price match other online competitors, only since i found the prices and asked them to.

When you get the test kit test your tap water and your tank water and then post the results. In the mean time you should find a better local fish store than walmart lol . if you tell us where you're from we might be able to steer you to a decent one or away from a bad one.

is your filter a sponge type or it a box type that hangs on the back of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom