Need help, Roadblock in cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JClark28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been cycling my 75 gal tank for two weeks now with no success. I added the (Dr Tim's One and Only) bacteria and waited two days to add some Dr Tims ammonia to do a fishless cycle. The pH is 7.8, ammonia 4 ppm, nitrite and nitrate zero. It is a cold, bare bottom tank setup for Oranda goldfish. Temperature is at 70 F. I have two Marineland Emperor 400 HOB tanks with the sponge filter, ceramic rings and bioballs. Air curtain in the back. The tank has recently gotten cloudy, which i am assuming is the bacterial bloom. Yet, the chemical levels have remained the same throughout. I am still waiting on my shipment of Anacharis to put in the tank. I am planting them in glass pots with aquatic soil. I am hoping this will help in cycling the tank. I don't know if I should add any more bacteria or just wait it out- i was hoping to see some nitrites at least by now. Any tips to kick start this cycle? Thanks! :fish2:

I have been cycling my 75 gal tank for two weeks now with no success. I added the (Dr Tim's One and Only) bacteria and waited two days to add some Dr Tims ammonia to do a fishless cycle. The pH is 7.8, ammonia 4 ppm, nitrite and nitrate zero. It is a cold, bare bottom tank setup for Oranda goldfish. Temperature is at 70 F. I have two Marineland Emperor 400 HOB tanks with the sponge filter, ceramic rings and bioballs. Air curtain in the back. The tank has recently gotten cloudy, which i am assuming is the bacterial bloom. Yet, the chemical levels have remained the same throughout. I am still waiting on my shipment of Anacharis to put in the tank. I am planting them in glass pots with aquatic soil. I am hoping this will help in cycling the tank. I don't know if I should add any more bacteria or just wait it out- i was hoping to see some nitrites at least by now. Any tips to kick start this cycle? Thanks! :fish2:

The bacteria required to convert ammonia to nitrite does its job in high temperature of 78-80F or so. 1 or 2 degrees more is even better, but since your tank is without heater (Which I understand why you have not installed because you plan to add gold fishes later)

I can think of few reasons why you do not see any activity,
1. Temperature
2. The bottled bacteria you got was not stored properly, so it had nothing

I did my cycling with Tetra Safe start and I had seen nitrites in a week or less, nitrates the next week. I finished my complete cycling within 3 weeks.

Try getting tetra safe start from a reputed pet store. All the best

Give it time. Fishless cycling just takes longer. Just don't forget your weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom