Need Help Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Java fern is a great start! A lot will depend on your lighting though as to what plants you can have. Taller tanks need stronger lights because the light has to penetrate further. However, there are some plants that will grow (albeit slowly) in even the weakest light. Try checking other types of Java fern (windelov, narrow leaf, Philippine), anubias (also lots of different types of leaf shapes/sizes), and java moss. These plants all can just be tied to driftwood/decor and they'll eventually just root to it. There might be some other plants you can do depending on your lighting but the ones I mentioned are pretty indestructible. Try googling stuff like "narrow leaf java fern tank" or "anubias aquascape" for some inspiration. You can have a beautiful planted lowlight tank with little difficulty and your fish will surely appreciate it. :)

I just got a nice piece of driftwood in my other tank and I can tell that the fish like it more than the plastic stuff I had in there before. Thank you for all the help, and the ideas.

Does any one have information on the paradise fish? I saw these last night and really liked how they looked.

They're very similar to bettas but usually a couple inches bigger. They can be pretty aggressive at times and will eat smaller fish like guppies. Beautiful fish though!

They're very similar to bettas but usually a couple inches bigger. They can be pretty aggressive at times and will eat smaller fish like guppies. Beautiful fish though!

Alright sounds like something I should stay away from.

They are a type of gourami that is pretty aggressive, especially toward smaller fish. I wouldn't go with them.

So as of now I have this in mind, 10 Celestial danio, 4 guppy, 8 harlequin rasbora. All I need now is a center piece fish or 2, and a cleanup crew. I really like the look of the Gourami, as well as the apistos but cant decide between the two.

So as of now I have this in mind, 10 Celestial danio, 4 guppy, 8 harlequin rasbora. All I need now is a center piece fish or 2, and a cleanup crew. I really like the look of the Gourami, as well as the apistos but cant decide between the two.

That sounds like a good stock! You probably even do more CPDs than that too. Just note that CPDs are pretty timid fish so they'll need lots of decor/plants to feel safe. Don't be surprised if they don't come out much during the first several weeks, but eventually once established they'll venture out more. If you do get a gourami I'd probably recommend getting a pearl or a honey. Both are (normally) very, very peaceful and get along great with other peaceful fish. Once they color up they're each quite stunning too. Some of the other less docile gouramis might scare the CPDs a bit too much. But yeah, I really like the idea of nano fish in a tank like yours. Because fish like CPDs are so small you can get quite a few of them which is great because they do better in larger numbers anyway. You just have to make sure you don't get fish that will scare them much. (y)

That sounds like a good stock! You probably even do more CPDs than that too. Just note that CPDs are pretty timid fish so they'll need lots of decor/plants to feel safe. Don't be surprised if they don't come out much during the first several weeks, but eventually once established they'll venture out more. If you do get a gourami I'd probably recommend getting a pearl or a honey. Both are (normally) very, very peaceful and get along great with other peaceful fish. Once they color up they're each quite stunning too. Some of the other less docile gouramis might scare the CPDs a bit too much. But yeah, I really like the idea of nano fish in a tank like yours. Because fish like CPDs are so small you can get quite a few of them which is great because they do better in larger numbers anyway. You just have to make sure you don't get fish that will scare them much. (y)

I wish I could decide between them and the apistos tho. After looking at them they look absolutely amazing and something that would really give a nice color to my tank. I am planning on getting some more rocks in there soon as well as some plants. On a side note, when I do add fish, in what order and how many should I add at once? I don't want to overdo the bio-load or stress the fish.

If you did a fishless cycle your tank can probably handle a pretty decent bioload from the start. In terms of order I'd put the most aggressive fish in last. You could probably start with some of your schooling fish. The time in which you can add additional fish will be dictated by your water tests and how quickly your BB is adjusting. If you decide on a more sensitive fish like German blue rams they should be added last, ideally after a few months.

Back
Top Bottom