Need help with a fully cycled but cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sistermoon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I went through a typical fishless cycle and my tank has been fully cycled for a few months now. I have gradually added fish and right now the 20g holds one molly and four emerald catfish.

However, my tank has become cloudy. I perform PWC every week or two, which includes a vacuum. The substrate is an extremely fine sand and frankly I thought I was just having a lot of kick up from that as the cats are constantly scrounging around in it. I also went through about 4 HOB filters and am now using a canister. However, the cloudiness started before the switch to the canister and I kept all the old media from the HOB filters inside the tank so I wouldn't go through a mini cycle.

I have tested the water and though my nitrAtes continue to be around 40ppm or less (and I'm not sure if I'm just having issues with the test), ammonia and nitrItes have stayed consistently at zero.

I'm sort of at a loss. Other than that, I am using silk plants and keep the light on in the tank for about 8 hours a day to avoid algae breakouts. I am also pretty careful about the amount of food I'm giving to the fish. I could try an agent that can clear the water but I'd rather figure out and deal with the problem causing it.

Thanks much,
Desiree

Back
Top Bottom