Need help with cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoSoxSYCO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys!

New member, 1st post. 2nd tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 over sized Oscars that have been in there for 18 months. I set up a 90 gallon tank on Thursday to move them into. I'm using a NEW Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 400 GPH and a Marineland Penguin w/Bio-Wheel 350 GPH that I took out of my existing tank (I had 2 of these on my existing tank). I added about 2 pounds of existing gravel to the new tank. I used TopFin Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement on Thursday. I noticed today the water was a cloudy white color. I am assuming this is the bacteria bloom stage.

The guy at the pet store suggested I use a few feeder fish in the tank to assist in the cycling, so I added 7 today. He also suggested I remove 50 gallons from the existing tank, put the fish in a bucket, siphon the existing water into the new tank and then put the fish in the new tank. At 1st I thought he was crazy, but then I thought about them having more than 2/3 of their existing water in the new tank. It would be like doing a big water change.

What should I do?

Right now the new tank is:

Ammonia: .2
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alkalinity: 80
pH: 7.5
Temp: 80 Degrees

Thanks guys
AJ

Hi and welcome.
The best way IMO to upgrade tanks is to get ALL the filter media from the old filter and transfer it to the new filter or take existing filters and run on the new tank, syphon all the water over, top off with fresh dechlorinated water, acclimatize the fish to the new tank and watch your readings for a couple of weeks doing water changes as necessary (ammonia or nitrite over .25ppm). No need to pre cycle the tank if it's a straight swap.

Thanks Mumma.

Should I dump all the water I have in the 90 gallon? being that it has already started the cycle process? Or should I just dump the 50 gallons and add 50 gallons from the existing tank? I know its kind of the same question as my initial post but I just want to make sure :)

BoSoxSYCO said:
Thanks Mumma.

Should I dump all the water I have in the 90 gallon? being that it has already started the cycle process? Or should I just dump the 50 gallons and add 50 gallons from the existing tank? I know its kind of the same question as my initial post but I just want to make sure :)
I would dump the water in the 90 and add the water from the 50 as you add the fish. They are use to the water they are in so less stress for them. Add the filter media in old or new filter on the new tank Then just keep testing the water for a few weeks to make sure there are no spikes.

Hi AJ! I tried to address your previous question but i am glad you posted a new thread! I will go back to my previous point- what type of feeder fish did you add & do plan on keeping them? You are essentially doing a fsih-in cycle right now with an established filter from your other tank. This may or may not be enough to fully cycle your new tank & it may throw your other tank into a mini-cycle from the loss of bacteria. Depending on what you plan on doing with the feeder fish will dictate how you should approach cycling this new tank. Please let us know!

Back
Top Bottom