Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies all survived through their first day, what else should I slowly add as far as stock goes?

Guppies all survived through their first day, what else should I slowly add as far as stock goes?
I would wait at least 2wks before thinking of adding any more fish. In the meantime, work out what type of fish you want and research them. You need patience now, make sure the tank is stable.

Welcome to AA from a fellow Arky, Wright!
I know that all of our state except the extreme NW corner has very soft, low carbonate hardness water. The bacteria you want to establish in your filter slows down at a pH of 6.4 and almost stops at 6.0 and below. Also Guppies will like a more neutral and harder water. I suggest taking a half cup of aquarium water and mixing in 2 tsp. of baking soda until dissolved. Add this to your tank. It will help keep your cycle at normal speed and buffer the water against pH swings. Then at each water change add 1 tsp of it. Good luck and Go Hogs! OS.

Yes. You go easy on it though. This is a case of more is NOT better. 2 tsps. for 55g is enough to raise your pH about 0.4 (ie. 6.4 to 6.8) If you want, you can add half the solution 1 hr. apart to raise the pH slower. I put my solution in all at once with no ill effect. This amount will raise your KH by 2. You wouldn't want to raise it more than 0.4 at one time as it would stress the fish. And you wouldn't want to add baking soda in tanks with discus as they need low pH and ultra soft water. What you are wanting to achieve is a water with enough KH that it has a stable pH.

Back
Top Bottom