Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently lost all the fish in my 55 gallon tank. I emptied everything and started over yesterday. I filled it up with seachem prime treated water, I have two emperor 400's running, a heater set to 80, and a power head for added circulation. I put some quick start in it an I have got some differing advice on where to go from here. In the past when I cycled a tank I just threw some goldfish in it and let it go from there. The tank is at 80 so I really don't think they would make it in that temp of water. I want to have guppies, pearl gourami, RCS and some Cory cats with some nice plants. What should I do now.

My best advice is wait and test. Likely you will need to do several water changes over the next two weeks or so. I don't use the starter products as I do it the old fashioned way and never have problems. If you have another tank, siphon some fish poop and put it in the tank to get the cycle going faster. You can use a very small pintch of food if poop ain't handy.

I recently lost all the fish in my 55 gallon tank. I emptied everything and started over yesterday. I filled it up with seachem prime treated water, I have two emperor 400's running, a heater set to 80, and a power head for added circulation. I put some quick start in it an I have got some differing advice on where to go from here. In the past when I cycled a tank I just threw some goldfish in it and let it go from there. The tank is at 80 so I really don't think they would make it in that temp of water. I want to have guppies, pearl gourami, RCS and some Cory cats with some nice plants. What should I do now.

The first thing you should do is familiarise yourself with the nitrogen cycle and the necessity to cycle the tank and order an api master test kit for freshwater. Then you should decide whether or not you wish to do a fish in cycle or fishless cycle. I would recommend doing a fishless cycle. There are articles on here that explain both processes.

If you chose to fish in then use the guppies not the gourami or corys. Hopefully someone can post you the links as I'm not sure how to post them.

The first thing you should do is familiarise yourself with the nitrogen cycle and the necessity to cycle the tank and order an api master test kit for freshwater. Then you should decide whether or not you wish to do a fish in cycle or fishless cycle. I would recommend doing a fishless cycle. There are articles on here that explain both processes.

If you chose to fish in then use the guppies not the gourami or corys. Hopefully someone can post you the links as I'm not sure how to post them.

Once you have decided which way to go we can help you through the process.

I have the test kit already. I am probably going to go with the fish method. Currently my nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0 and ammonia is 0. Have been putting in a little fish food until I can get to my LFS tomorrow.

So you are advocating for me to do a fish in cycling? Just want to be clear.

Did you read the link? If you feel comfortable enough to do a fish in cyle without harming the fish then yes. There is little room for error and the fish you use should be in your final stocking plans. The key is to stock very slowly. Test your tap water too before you start so you know what water is going in.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish in cycles are okay to do, but you need to do them right, and be prepared to do lots of water changes. It also takes longer and you cannot fully stock it.

Fishless cycling is easier and shorter, but you will have an empty fish tank for a month, unless you get seeded media in which it can go by in a week.

Ok so the plan for today is I am going to test my water and then go and grab 3 female guppies and 2 male guppies and some plants from my LFS.

Ok so the plan for today is I am going to test my water and then go and grab 3 female guppies and 2 male guppies and some plants from my LFS.
Why don't you ask the LFS for some gravel from one of their tanks and put it in a fine mesh bag or some pantyhose(new) and put it in your filter beside the bio media. You can then add a small amount of fish, test the water daily and add more stock slowly.....

I have a little 2 gallon cube tank with a goldfish my son got from someone in it. Should I take the filter media from that and put it in my filter? The filter pad from the 2 gallon is super gross usually foe the goldfish.

I have a little 2 gallon cube tank with a goldfish my son got from someone in it. Should I take the filter media from that and put it in my filter? The filter pad from the 2 gallon is super gross usually foe the goldfish.
What about the goldfish then??. You could always give the goldfish pad a squeeze onto your media. This will transfer some BB but you will still need to keep a close eye on the water in the 55

Ok just got back from the LFS. I picked up my five guppies and some baby tears and dwarf baby tears. I also picked up two filter pads from their established tank. I put them behind my filter pads.

Ok just got back from the LFS. I picked up my five guppies and some baby tears and dwarf baby tears. I also picked up two filter pads from their established tank. I put them behind my filter pads.
Your on the right road now. Just try and make sure the LFS pads are touching the your pads, so the BB can transfer. Just leave them in there for at least 4wks....and keep an eye on the water quality (y)

I floated the guppies for about three hours and got them acclimated. I wasn't concerned so much with nitrate/nitrite/ammonia but with ph. My ph has been a little on the low side around 6.2-6.4. The guppies are good so far and have ate and are active. I'm going to wait a few days and maybe go pick up some more plants and an apple snail it two. Any ideas on stock for me? I would like guppies, Cory cats, RCS, a male and female pearl gourami. Any other ideas? How many Cory's and guppies should I stock? I have homes for baby guppies as they grow so No worries there.

Back
Top Bottom