new 30 gal tank - community questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
A while back I was going to buy a 75 for my cichlids and use my 55 gal for a community tank. Alas, this plan fell through.

I recently aquired a used 30 gal tank and am in the process of cleaning it up. I'd like to use it for a community tank but I'm not sure if it would be good enough for the fish I'd like to put into it.

Here is the old list (for a 55 gal)
8-12 cardinal tetras
8-12 corys(not sure of type)
8-12 red phantom tetras
1-3 gourami (preferably pearl)

Keep in mind this was originally what I wanted for a 55 and I'm not sure how this would scale down to a 30 gal tank. The dimensions of the tank are 36x12x16.

Can I keep any gouramis in a tank that small? I know dwarfs may work, but I've heard that they can be really aggressive.

Basically, cut your numbers in half. I'm not a gourami person--they seem to have rules all to themselves. If Christmasfish doesn't pop on, drop her a PM.

If you chose true Pearl Gourami(T.leeri) then you'll have no prob...
a little tight for the numbers, but if you keep on top of the water it should work.
4 Pearl, 10 cardinals, 7 phantoms and 5-6 cories can be your starter numbers. And the duller, speckly, lighter color otos from the delta swamps or some big apple snails.
And you have older established tanks to borrow media from..better.

I have red phantoms..they look like serpae but mind their beeswax better and are small.
You MUST have at least 3 of the pearls because of the social tendencies, not aggression.

With the pearls, moonlight and kissing you have the more community minded gourami. Stay away from dwarfs with wee cardinals being a star color player and having high body tetras. 8)

4 Pearl, 10 cardinals, 7 phantoms and 5-6 cories can be your starter numbers
I must be used to my africans, but those numbers just sound way high. From my original numbers I was considering scaling back about 50%. I know that the tetras and corys need to be at 6+ each. I'm just not too sure about the gouramis.

I thought they got to be fairly large in size. Maybe the 30 gal just looks small to me because I'm used to my 55. I'm going to start researching them a little more. I don't want to stuff 3 or 4 pearls into a tank that's too small for them.

And you have older established tanks to borrow media from..better
You know it. The tank will definitely be cycled for a high bioload before I ever go to the fish store.

Thanks everybody for your help. Anymore would definitely be appreciated.

4 Pearl, 10 cardinals, 7 phantoms and 5-6 cories can be your starter numbers
Wow, that's a lot of fish! I have never kept cardinals, phantoms, or gouramis and will not comment. I can say that cories like groups of 3+. I have 11 in my 50 gal and they are great. You may want to consider a smaller pleco such as the pitbull, clown, rubber lip or bristle nose to help with algea and to have a very different looking fish in there. I will say that Christmasfish seems to know her gouramis and if she says 4, then I'll bet 4 will be fine.
Deli--will you be upgrading the cichlid tank any time soon?

All I have to add to this thread is this....look at my signature 26 gallon. With meticulous water management you'd be amazed what you can keep in a tank and still have everything healthy and growing!!!

Christmasfish said:
a little tight for the numbers, but if you keep on top of the water it should work.

The pearl gourami are big fish and will top out about 6-8 inches
They are temp sensetive more than water sensetive, but they like it soft and warm which the tetras will enjoy greatly. They are also somewhat shy if well bred, but they and prolly the tetras will get braver because of the gregarious cories darting about.

In 30 gallons ..it is tight but since there are no other aggressives or semi aggressives it can work stuffed with meticulous water care.
As you are not a rank beginner I put out larger numbers than I might normally. :wink: Since you know which end of the test kit to hold I figure you can live dangerous adn make the tank fuller than one might normally.
Most smaller gourami with color are poor choices in a community that is peaceful.Unfortunate but holds true in most cases.... you could always get a huge double handful of sparkling gourami. but they don't have the impact of big high body fish.
Red phantoms (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi) are a small fish they can get up to ALMOST 2 inches but usually are 1. Cardinals are also small fish.
I think cories are the "dirtiest" fish you have in that mix. And they are a number you should adjust first prolly. And you can drop one gourami and just have two females and a male. Two may chase each other too much and actually have shows of true aggression to each other. Though not as bad as other gourami types. Most african labyrinths are more specialized and therefore more demanding than asians, they are also more aggressive generallyand often piscevores

The pearl gourami are big fish and will top out about 6-8 inches
I won't have a larger tank for some time so I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't go with 3 fish that will get that big in a 30 gal tank.

I would like to have a nice sized fish or two (relative to the tetras size) to help showcase the tank a little. Are there any others that would fit the desription?

:D I'm with Fruitbat on this. I think even your original plan works fine in a 30g. Just be sure to have additional filtration and do your weekly water changes.

Fruitbat said:
All I have to add to this thread is this....look at my signature 26 gallon. With meticulous water management you'd be amazed what you can keep in a tank and still have everything healthy and growing!!!
That is a lot of fish in there. I change my water weekly and keep an eye on all the parameters. I also clean my canister out once a month. I don't know if that counts as meticulous or not.

Rainbow fish are quickly becoming a fav
I checked out the site. I like the australian rainbow Melanotaenia splendida. I would have to do more research though. It says that it's a schooling fish and since they get as big as the gouramis it kinda puts me into the same boat as to would having 3 of them be cramming the tank too much...

red phantom tetras? do you mean serpae tetra?
Yep. That would be them.

Yeah, I go against the grain on stocking. The rules of thumb come from the stone age (before before higher tech filters), and don't account for much maintenance.

If you stick with your routine, you'll be surprised how happy and healthy you can keep those fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom