Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New 75g setup. Questions regarding fish.....

I am planning a new 75 gallon planted tank and was thinking of the following combo.

2-3 male Apistos of same breed

3-5 female Apistos of same breed as above

small school of Cardinal Tetras

small school of hatchet fish

Can some Apisto and aquaria experts provide some feedback on whether this is a feasible setup?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Regards,
Bleemus

Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very feasable. Perhaps even understocked. Just be prepared to provide plenty of hiding places or have an extra tank ready for when the apistos pair off.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would attempt only 2 male apistos and 5 or 6 females. They are polygamous breeders and prefer a large assortment of females. Male aggression can become a problem. That is why i would go for 2 instead of 3 because the male thats stuck in the middle may not have much luck. Them dividing half the tank is probably the best bet and i don't think you want a middle man. But yeah it should work.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I just learned discus apitos and cories are all found together in the wid .. maybe this??

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks to all for the tips. I think I may move to just two males and a harem. I already have a "honeymoon" tank if some of the Apistos pair off. Once it is up and running I will post some photos!

Cheers
Old 06-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you going to have a sturdy hood? I'm sure you're aware of this, but Hatchets are notorious for jumping :-(. Sounds great, though!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I know about Hatchet jumping! I used to breed Killifish but now that we are settled again the wife is saying no to all the little tanks. Insists on one big tank that all of us can enjoy. Of course I told her that we need a QT tank.......

Tee hee.

Tags
75g, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com