New Community tank - What to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aclark

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm looking for a fist tank to build for my son who is 3 years old and has taken a liking to his county fair goldfish. I would like to set him up a nice community tank in his room. I found a tank and stand on Craigslist ( http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/for/5190568973.html ) and would like some input on other components to add to make a nice tank. I'd like to keep the price down but don't want junk. The tank comes with a screen top so I'm thinking a nice hood with LEDs or some clamp on LEDs if I can't find a good that fits. I'll also need a heater & filter for sure. Besides the smaller things is there anything else I'm missing for big items.

Smaller items needed
Sand
Deco/fake plants
Test kit
Python/aqueon
...fish after cycle of course...

Thanks

I don't recommend adding other fish with a goldfish. They type from the fairs are feeders that were grown up a bit. They get very very large in a very short time. They also create a lot of waste so keeping up with them is a challenge. I'm sorry I can't open the link, how big is the tank? I recommend a cannister filter for a goldfish. My mother keeps multiple filters running on hers and she has what we're bred as feeders also. She got them tiny and had them in an outdoor water feature. Now I keep having to buy her bigger and bigger tanks. Looking for a 75 next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wasn't going to add the goldfish to the tank. It's going to be a whole new tank with new fish. I don't know why the mod changed the title and moved it here.

Oh ok. How big of a new tank and what kind of fish are you thinking about keeping? I really recommend Cobalt Neotherm heaters which are cheaper on Amazon or Hydor has never failed me either. As far as filters cannister is easiest. I like Fluval. If you want hang on the back style then I'd recommend Aquaclear. Pool filter sand is cheap and is great to use but only comes in white/off white etc. You will need a variety of nets and also a dip and pour aka a specimen container. They hand on the tank and are very handy if you need to remove a fish or move it etc.

I wasn't going to add the goldfish to the tank. It's going to be a whole new tank with new fish. I don't know why the mod changed the title and moved it here.

That's a bit confusing...

You could do a single fantail

-or-

I think you are saying you don't actually want goldfish just a community tank?

If the goldfish route, a 20g is about the bare minimum for a single fantail. This is due to the fast and large growth rate of goldfish plus they are high waste producers.

If you want a goldfish community you are going to need to go larger than that. A 40 breeder, 4ft 55g, or more would be ideal.

There's plenty of tropical community options for a 20g tank though if you are interested In that route.

Caleb

I linked to a 20 gallon tank on Craigslist that I'm going to look at tomorrow. As long as it's in decent shape I'll probably buy it. I DO NOT want to put goldfish of any kind in it (mod changed the title since I mentioned my sons goldfish). I want to do some sort of sub tropical community tank in the end. Bright colors and different types of fish. I'm trying to be cost conscious hence the used tank, but with newer components. I want to get it set up this weekend if possible so this was move of a "what equipment" thread.

Definitely need a liquid test kit. If you want nice red guppies I just sold some to the Ark in Merrillville. :)

I linked to a 20 gallon tank on Craigslist that I'm going to look at tomorrow. As long as it's in decent shape I'll probably buy it. I DO NOT want to put goldfish of any kind in it (mod changed the title since I mentioned my sons goldfish). I want to do some sort of sub tropical community tank in the end. Bright colors and different types of fish. I'm trying to be cost conscious hence the used tank, but with newer components. I want to get it set up this weekend if possible so this was move of a "what equipment" thread.

Ahh gotcha! ;) you can ask the seller to leak test it for you. Common tactic when buying used tanks.

You have a good variety of options for a 20g actually.

Dwarf/honey/sparkling gourami
Neon/cardinal tetras
Guppies
Platy
African Dwarf Frogs
Most corydora species(not emeralds)
Zebra/leopard danios
Rams

And more! These are just some of the most common and are generally easy to find.

Really coming down to it you just need some decor/plants for hiding places, a heater, and a filter. Without live Plants, lighting is optional. Substrate can be optional though most people prefer to have something.

Caleb

FYI a new 20g high or long is $20 at psp. I just saw a deal on Craigslist for tank and stand for $35. That's a good deal. I highly recommend corys for tank bottom maintenance. They need sand or bare bottom tank to thrive.

FYI a new 20g high or long is $20 at psp. I just saw a deal on Craigslist for tank and stand for $35. That's a good deal. I highly recommend corys for tank bottom maintenance. They need sand or bare bottom tank to thrive.

That's almost certainly the one I'm looking at. The pics look like it might be a bit rough but hopefully it's in decent shape as well as the stand. I'll take a look at some of the brands you listed above, gives me a good starting point. Are most canister filers going to run ~$100+? What's the main advantage over HOB other than space/hidden?

Cannister do run high and for a 20 gallon if it were me I'd buy an hob. Aquaclear 50 would be what I'd go with. Always better to overfilter if you can. Cannister hold more media for beneficial bacteria to grow on. They seem to do a better job but for a 20 it's not necessary unless you want to spend the $$. When you go to look at that tank I'd offer $30. Sometimes when filled with water scratches seem to disappear from sight. Also if it's calcium build up from our hard water in the region, hot vinegar and a razor blade can take that off. Just don't use any chemicals. If there were ever frogs in the tank don't buy it. I don't mean African clawed frogs or the dwarf clawed frogs but land frogs. They give off toxins in their skin that may hurt the fish.

BTW I'm in Lowell
So cool talking on here to someone so close who enjoys the hobby

Canisters are really only needed in larger tanks with big fish. HOB is cheaper and just as efficient. Like the other user above said canisters just hold more media and they can run higher GPH.

For a small community tank like this, a canister would just be an accessory, no way is it needed.

Caleb

Canisters are really only needed in larger tanks with big fish. HOB is cheaper and just as efficient. Like the other user above said canisters just hold more media and they can run higher GPH.

For a small community tank like this, a canister would just be an accessory, no way is it needed.

+1 I'm a big fan of Aquaclear filters, been using them for years.

Do you have thoughts about ideas for stock? A 20g is a nice size, really gives you a lot of options.

Cannister do run high and for a 20 gallon if it were me I'd buy an hob. Aquaclear 50 would be what I'd go with. Always better to overfilter if you can. Cannister hold more media for beneficial bacteria to grow on. They seem to do a better job but for a 20 it's not necessary unless you want to spend the $$. When you go to look at that tank I'd offer $30. Sometimes when filled with water scratches seem to disappear from sight. Also if it's calcium build up from our hard water in the region, hot vinegar and a razor blade can take that off. Just don't use any chemicals. If there were ever frogs in the tank don't buy it. I don't mean African clawed frogs or the dwarf clawed frogs but land frogs. They give off toxins in their skin that may hurt the fish.

BTW I'm in Lowell
So cool talking on here to someone so close who enjoys the hobby

Thanks, I will report back tonight after I check it out. I will be sure to ask questions on what was in it. I know when I had geckos as a kid the tank had a screen lid so I'm somewhat assuming that this was a reptile tank.

Caleb

Any thoughts (both of you) on the SunSun brand of canister filters? They seem to be about half the price, but I've seen them recommended on here because of that fact, but they are still pretty good. There is an old adage "Buy once, Cry once", but I'm not sure I'm at that point in the hobby yet.

+1 I'm a big fan of Aquaclear filters, been using them for years.

Do you have thoughts about ideas for stock? A 20g is a nice size, really gives you a lot of options.
There were a few suggestions earlier in the thread, but I have no idea. I figured I'd get a tank up and cycling and then start browsing photos and the LFS to get an idea of what I might want.

Thanks, I will report back tonight after I check it out. I will be sure to ask questions on what was in it. I know when I had geckos as a kid the tank had a screen lid so I'm somewhat assuming that this was a reptile tank.

Any thoughts (both of you) on the SunSun brand of canister filters? They seem to be about half the price, but I've seen them recommended on here because of that fact, but they are still pretty good. There is an old adage "Buy once, Cry once", but I'm not sure I'm at that point in the hobby yet.

There were a few suggestions earlier in the thread, but I have no idea. I figured I'd get a tank up and cycling and then start browsing photos and the LFS to get an idea of what I might want.

I've heard good things about the SunSun canisters, though I don't own one personally. I do own other SunSun products such as UV sterilizer and powerheads though and they work fine.

Like Theresa, I'm an Aquaclear guy. Great filters, easy to take apart and clean.

Caleb

I don't own a sun sun and won't because they are made in China. I have heard good things about them and they are very quiet.
What you get all depends on tank size. I'd get a 29g tank if it were me. You have a lot more to work with and it's the same footprint as a 20g long.

Another tip: most people don't recommend tetra brand tanks. They say aqueon is better. I haven't had a problem with either but that's what I have read a lot on here.

Here's a pic of the 29 I keep in my basement for the corys and 1 betta. I used to have a nice set up in my bedroom for a community tank but ended up going with nanos up there as they require me to haul less water.

Attachments

• 1440686019284.jpg
    1440686019284.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom