New cycled aquarium - fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amyg784

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. We have had a 55 gallon freshwater tank for the last 5 years which has always seemed healthy and fish thrived in. We decided to upgrade because some of our fish were outgrowing our 55 gallon. We acquired a 150 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. Set everything up and started the fishless cycle using some media from our 55 gallon tank. We followed the fishless cycle over the last 2 weeks and tested daily using the API freshwater master test kit. Everything seemed to cycle the way it is supposed to (although it took longer than we would have liked :)). Finally 3 days ago our nitrites dropped and our nitrates started rising. We did a 50% water change and added ammonia to make sure it was indeed cycling. Ammonia and nitrites quickly dropped to 0 and nitrates held steady around 5 - 10 ppm.

Last night we decided it was time to move fish from the 55 gallon to the new tank. Got everyone moved - 1 bala shark 10 inches long, 1 angelfish 6 inches long, 1 suckerfish 13 inches long (told ya they were outgrowing the old tank), 6 black skirt tetras all about 1.5 inches long, 1 goldfish about 1.5 inches long, 1 neon tetra about 1 inch long and one Cory about 2 inches long. They all seemed happy in their new surroundings, swimming around nicely. We watched them through the evening and everyone seemed ok. We woke up this moring and had lost 2 black skirt tetras, the goldfish, the neon tetra and the cory. And the angelfish and one of the other black skirts aren't looking very good. I tested the water again and it is ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5. PH is 7.4 which is the same as the 55 gallon tank. I tested the 55 gallon tank which we had kept running through the night in case we needed to move fish back. That had been testing ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 80 -160. Nitrates have alway run high despite water changes but the fish seemed to thrive in that tank none the less. This morning the 55 gallon tank tested ammonia 0, nitrites 5 and nitrates 160 which doesn't make sense. I couldn't move any fish back to that tank because of the nitrites being so high so we are keeping them in the new tank that is testing better. Temperature is running the same in both tanks. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be happening and suggestions on what we should do. We were going to add more fish tonight because we were concerned that with the larger tank there wouldn't be enough biofeed from the current fish to keep the tank healthy, but don't want to add more fish if we have so many dying. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's likely that the drastic change in water conditions are to blame. I've seen this before. Basically your fish had adjusted to high nitrate levels and moving them was too much, too quick. You did the right thing by getting the new tank cycled and the parameters where they should be. Google "old tank syndrome". Many articles talk about the effects on fish when extended high nitrate levels are lowered too quickly. Sorry for your losses :(

It's likely that the drastic change in water conditions are to blame. I've seen this before. Basically your fish had adjusted to high nitrate levels and moving them was too much, too quick. You did the right thing by getting the new tank cycled and the parameters where they should be. Google "old tank syndrome". Many articles talk about the effects on fish when extended high nitrate levels are lowered too quickly. Sorry for your losses :(

Thanks. I didn't think of that. Just figured the healthier nitrates would be good for them. Any suggestions on what to do so we don't lose any more fish? Like I said my nitrites in the old tank were really high this morning so I can't really move them back to the old tank. Should we just let it go and hope the ones who have survived adjust to the lower nitrates in the new tank? What are your thoughts on adding new fish. My husband was going to go to the local fish store tonight and get enough to stock the tank 50%. Will new fish be ok since they hadn't been accustomed to the higher nitrates like our old fish? We are worried about keeping the biofeed high enough to keep the tank healthy.

The new fish should be fine after acclimating. As far as your current fish, I'm not sure what your options are other than doing a water change in the 55g to lower nitrate levels and returning them. You could do more water changes and gradually reduce nitrate levels over a few weeks in the 55g and then move them over to the new tank. There may be other options, hopefully someone else here will help.

New fish should NEVER come from water with such high nitrates.. 160 is only about 4x higher then the highest level most keepers let there tanks get before performing a water change to reduce back to 20 ish....[some lower]....
Next look up drip acclimating.There is Soooo much more then temp/ph and the stuff we know to test for in water...By slowly mixing you give your or any fish the best chance to adjust.
If your new tanks is really good then the deaths should be over.The ones looking bad will probably pass as a guess? But after that the survivors are acclimated to good water so there should be no issue...
Drip acclimate all the new fish....

Thanks. I will look into drip acclimation before adding any new fish.

New fish should NEVER come from water with such high nitrates....

Maybe I misunderstood. The op hasn't purchased the "new" fish yet. The trouble started when the fish they already had in the old 55g were transferred to the new, cycled tank with good nitrate levels... if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe I misunderstood. The op hasn't purchased the "new" fish yet. The trouble started when the fish they already had in the old 55g were transferred to the new, cycled tank with good nitrate levels... if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, the fish were all from our 55g tank and transferred into the new tank. By the way, when I got home from work today all of the fish that were still living this morning were still alive and the two that didn't look so good this morning were looking better. Thanks.

New fish should NEVER come from water with such high nitrates.. 160 is only about 4x higher then the highest level most keepers let there tanks get before performing a water change to reduce back to 20 ish....[some lower]....
Next look up drip acclimating.There is Soooo much more then temp/ph and the stuff we know to test for in water...By slowly mixing you give your or any fish the best chance to adjust.
If your new tanks is really good then the deaths should be over.The ones looking bad will probably pass as a guess? But after that the survivors are acclimated to good water so there should be no issue...
Drip acclimate all the new fish....

Interestingly, my husband went to the local fish store last evening and brought home 5 black skirt tetras and 2 angelfish. He took a bucket with him and had them put some of their aquarium water in the bucket then they floated the bags with the fish in it. Hubby forgot to have them test the water before he left so I tested it when he got home. PH was 8.4, ammonia 0, Nitrites 1.0 and nitrates were 80 (yes I am going to be calling them today). We did a variation of the drip acclimation where we kept them in the bucket and added a cup of our tank water every 10-15 minutes for about an hour. When we put them in our tank, I wasn't sure any of them would survive (our tank is testing PH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5) because they all sank right to the bottom. But over the next hour they one by one perked up and started swimming around. And they all made it through the night, so hopefully they will be ok. I just couldn't believe how bad the store's water was. Won't ever go back there.

Glad to here fish are doing good.
Remember when testing that any deviation like shaking or TIME will have an effect on the result which may not be accurate...
That being said I would not be surprised that even a LFS would not change water, as it just about everyone besides the best breeders think they change enough, and protest to the point of not getting help they desperately need with their keeping skills.

Interestingly, my husband went to the local fish store last evening and brought home 5 black skirt tetras and 2 angelfish. He took a bucket with him and had them put some of their aquarium water in the bucket then they floated the bags with the fish in it. Hubby forgot to have them test the water before he left so I tested it when he got home. PH was 8.4, ammonia 0, Nitrites 1.0 and nitrates were 80 (yes I am going to be calling them today). We did a variation of the drip acclimation where we kept them in the bucket and added a cup of our tank water every 10-15 minutes for about an hour. When we put them in our tank, I wasn't sure any of them would survive (our tank is testing PH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5) because they all sank right to the bottom. But over the next hour they one by one perked up and started swimming around. And they all made it through the night, so hopefully they will be ok. I just couldn't believe how bad the store's water was. Won't ever go back there.

Good to hear. I'm so jealous of your great big tank, so many options! You should definitely post pics when things get settled, I'd love to see it.

Back
Top Bottom