New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MattJ said:
From the chart, most likely 5 - but depends what light im in!

I'd do a big pwc...65-75%. Get the no2 low enough so you can tell what it is and be able to monitor it. It will also restore buffers and nutrients to the water to help finish off your cycle. And remember to keep dosing the ammo up to 4ppm every 24 hours. Things look good.

eco23 said:
I'd do a big pwc...65-75%. Get the no2 low enough so you can tell what it is and be able to monitor it. It will also restore buffers and nutrients to the water to help finish off your cycle. Things look good.

O ya! Someone is here! Haha what do u reckon it reads?

Hubert90 said:
O ya! Someone is here! Haha what do u reckon it reads?

It reads high, lol. If you can't tell... thats when to knock out the pwc. From what I see, I'd agree it's well over 5, maybe up to 8-10. Hard to tell from pics though...it's hard enough to tell in person with the API kits, haha.

eco23 said:
It reads high, lol. If you can't tell... thats when to knock out the pwc. From what I see, I'd agree it's well over 5, maybe up to 8-10. Hard to tell from pics though...it's hard enough to tell in person with the API kits, haha.

O wow my guess of 1 is way off. I always tend to have trouble with nitrate, can't decide between 10-20!

Hubert90 said:
O wow my guess of 1 is way off. I always tend to have trouble with nitrate, can't decide between 10-20!

If I remember, that thing goes back to a deep purple once it climbs off the charts. I think another way to tell is if it starts changing the second your first couple drops hit the tube...it's usually off the charts. I kinda jumped back in here at the end. I'm gonna reread the thread and remind myself how the cycles been going to get a better idea of where we are.

I think I jumped the gun. You may be right about it being 1. I though we had been dropping higher amts of ammo for longer. If it is indeed 1 (which now I think it probably is), I'd hold off on the pwc, even though it wouldn't hurt to do it if you're not sure what the reading is.

I'll do a smaller water change ... redose ammo and test again in 24 hrs or so?

MattJ said:
I'll do a smaller water change ... redose ammo and test again in 24 hrs or so?

Sounds good. It'd be helpful to determine what the actual no2 level is. In theory, a 50% pwc will reduce your levels by half...so that might be the way to go so we can see the change in no2 level.

eco23 said:
Thanks! Apparently reading levels from pics of API test results is not one of my specialties, lol.

Trust me! I spend ages trying to determine what my reading is. I even go around asking my mom dad Sis and bro!! Haha

Hubert90 said:
Trust me! I spend ages trying to determine what my reading is. I even go around asking my mom dad Sis and bro!! Haha

Yeah, I've wandered all around the house and even gone outside and held them to the sky to get an idea, lol. The good thing with API kits that everyone overlooks is that you normally just need a ballpark idea, not an exact number. Once the tank is cycled, you just need to see yellow, blue and not too much orange. It can be a little trickier with fishless cycling because you've got to try and shoot for around 4ppm ammo and be able to have a rough idea where your no2 is.

Right, PWC complete ...

Went for approx 50% - dosed back up to 4ppm

How long would you wait before retesting nitrites?

MattJ said:
Right, PWC complete ...

Went for approx 50% - dosed back up to 4ppm

How long would you wait before retesting nitrites?

Depending on your filter, give it 20-30 minutes to circulate the water.

Fluval 2 plus..

Saying that, I have to pop out for a couple of hours so will just re-test when I get in and update you later!

Fingers crossed we are somewhere in the right direction!

Thanks for the help so far... !

Fluval 2 plus..

Saying that, I have to pop out for a couple of hours so will just re-test when I get in and update you later!

Fingers crossed we are somewhere in the right direction!

Thanks for the help so far... !

haha for a second there i though u said u had to poop. HAHAHA silly me. but im sure many will agree u are on the right direction! in fact u are already on the right direction for doin fishless cycle and being PATIENCES! patiences is the key to success in this hobby IMO. :D good luck

So just tested again, still hard to tell but defo looks lighter than before..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110526_204517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110526_204517.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 96
Right, update... Ammonia and nitrIte

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110528_081313.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110528_081313.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110528_081337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110528_081337.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 73