New th the Fish World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Am new to the fish world and have gotten some great info on this site. Found out it needed to cycle my tank. Went and purchased a liquid test kit and am confused about the results. I have a 10 gal tank. With incandescent lighting. No plants. 2 stage bio/charcoal filter. 1 goldfish. Water tests as follows ph 7.5 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0. It is my understanding that I should have nitrates in the water is this correct. And how do I go about getting that as I want to make sure the tank is good before I add anymore fish ie neons. Or some other small fish.

Am new to the fish world and have gotten some great info on this site. Found out it needed to cycle my tank. Went and purchased a liquid test kit and am confused about the results. I have a 10 gal tank. With incandescent lighting. No plants. 2 stage bio/charcoal filter. 1 goldfish. Water tests as follows ph 7.5 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0. It is my understanding that I should have nitrates in the water is this correct. And how do I go about getting that as I want to make sure the tank is good before I add anymore fish ie neons. Or some other small fish.

Hi! You won't get nitrates until cycling is further along. You'll get ammonia first, then nitrite and then nitrate; this process can take 1-3 months. Unfortunately a 10 gal tank is way too small for a goldfish. They are messy fish and require 20 gals just for one fish and once the fish starts putting out waste the ammonia is going to rise too quickly for you to be able to keep on top of it. You also wouldn't be able to add tropical fish with them as goldfish are coldwater fish and need cooler temperatures than tropicals. I'd highly suggest either upgrading to at least a 20 gal tank just if you want to keep the one goldfish or return the goldfish and research proper stocking for a 10 gal tank. There's a link below in my signature: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium. It'll give you info on cycling.

Reactions: jlk
Welcome to AA!!!! What type of goldfish do you have? Commons/comets/shubunkins grow very large (12-18inches) & realistically need to be homed in a pond. Fancies need 20gals for the first fish, 10gals for each fish after. A 10gal tank is too small for even a single goldfish. Goldfish are coldwater fish & really should not be housed with tropical fish (such as neons) because they have different housing requirements. If the tank is new, you will not have nitrates yet because your tank is not cycled. Fish-in cycling takes anywhere from 6-8wks. My suggestion would be to return the goldfish & do your research on appropriate fish for stocking a 10gal tank. Im sure someone will post links shortly for fish-in/fishless cycling! Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you dont undertsand anything!

We have had him in the tank for over 4 months now. I'm not sure what kind of fish he is. I did not buy him he was given to us with the tank . He is still only 1 in long

I have put a photo of the fish as my profile pic if any can give me any ideas on what kind of fish it is.

You might try redoing the nitrate test. If you don't severely shake bottle#2, even bang it on a hard surface, you may not get a true test. I had this problem when I first used it. Good luck!

Could you possibiy post a pic on this thread? The pic in your profile is a bit too small to determine if its a common/comet or a fantail. Thanks!

He you go.

Here is a Pics, sorry alittle blurry hard to take pics and he wont stop moving :)

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 62
You might try redoing the nitrate test. If you don't severely shake bottle#2, even bang it on a hard surface, you may not get a true test. I had this problem when I first used it. Good luck!
I did shake like ****. It s a clear bottle and I can see there is no resedue being left on bottom of bottle so it is deffinately well mixed.

librarygirl said:
What test kit is it? API or another brand?

It is a Nutrafin Mini master kit. Could not find the API kit at any stores where I live in Canada

So you've had the goldfish in the tank for 4 months? The tank should be cycled by now but you're right you should have nitrate. Do you have a filter on the tank? Have you changed any of the filter media recently? How often do you do water changes?

librarygirl said:
So you've had the goldfish in the tank for 4 months? The tank should be cycled by now but you're right you should have nitrate. Do you have a filter on the tank? Have you changed any of the filter media recently? How often do you do water changes?

Our filter is 2 stage. 1 piece is kind of a plastic mesh which we leave in. The other is a carbon cartridge which I was replacing about every month. Only change the water 1/4 every 2 weeks or so .

Back
Top Bottom