New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok i must have missed the "rule" for the amount of fish.. I have heard so many different "rules of thumb" let me just ask... If the 1 Gallon per inch is not the best to follow what is?

Ok i must have missed the "rule" for the amount of fish.. I have heard so many different "rules of thumb" let me just ask... If the 1 Gallon per inch is not the best to follow what is?
there is really no rule. as long as you can keep the parametres good and everyone has enough room to be comfortable and happy,its good

I assume the chem you used was a dechlorinator...I was worried the store had sold you some type of "instant cycling" product which are normally useless and occasionally dangerous.

The guide I linked (which is also in my signature) is an article I wrote up about fishless cycling. It explains the process, the nitrogen cycle and also the pros / cons of fishless vs fish-in cycling. I'll be happy to help with anything you need along the way

There really is no set rule of stocking. There are too many variables to use a particular rule like 1" per gallon. There are tons of members who are fantastic at stocking advice. Some great recommendations were previously listed which are definitely worth checking out. :)

there is really no rule. as long as you can keep the parametres good and everyone has enough room,its good

I don't know, I think it is more complicated than that. I mean, a school of neons would technically fit in a 5 gallon and they have a small bioload so they wouldn't affect water quality that much if it's a properly cycled tank. But would they be happy in a 5 gal? No, b/c they need a lot of swimming room b/c they are active schooling fish. The best thing to do would be to research some fish you like, research some more, and then ask for opinions on here. :)

I don't know, I think it is more complicated than that. I mean, a school of neons would technically fit in a 5 gallon and they have a small bioload so they wouldn't affect water quality that much if it's a properly cycled tank. But would they be happy in a 5 gal? No, b/c they need a lot of swimming room b/c they are active schooling fish. The best thing to do would be to research some fish you like, research some more, and then ask for opinions on here. :)

i guess your right,i'll edit it to say" enough room to be comfortable and happy"

Ok all I think I get it! :) happy and comfotable... not happening in a 5G tank!

ECO23. you are correct the additive i used was a dechlorinator. I am currently reading your artical about cycling... ITS VERY AWESOME AND HELPFUL! I will say this there is alot to learn! I have no issues with that just didnt realize... at this point it looks like a "fishless" cycle is the right way for me togo. have to pick up some additonal supplies tomorrow based on your artical..

All,
at this point its prolly safe to say that a betta will need to be put into this 5G tank... I could not find Endlers today or the red cherry shrimp that was suggested... The best the store could offer was the tetras I mentioned. :(

I know that they sell the Endler's on here and on aquabid all the time for fairly cheap;) as you might have noticed but I'm a HUGE fan of Endler's. The places I've listed above are also great with cherries too:D

You can also find Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) really easily from other members. Usually they go for $1 a piece including shipping. Don't be afraid to mail order fish or inverts..that's how they get to the pet store anyway. :)

ok.. now i am a bit confused maybe... I would think that i would need to get fish locally so they do not die in transport. but based on what your telling me if I order online the fish will make it to me safely?

ok.. now i am a bit confused maybe... I would think that i would need to get fish locally so they do not die in transport. but based on what your telling me if I order online the fish will make it to me safely?
Yups and most places have guarentees that if a fish/shrimp arrives dead tht they'll send you a new one(y)

Again sorry for the lack of knowledge! I worned you all! thanks for the patience and great advice!!!!

It's no problem:) It's better that you ask than hurting fish! Anyone on here would agree!

All of the fish and inverts I buy are from a member/moderator named severum mama and her husband HN1. They have a list of what they have for sale in the classifieds section of the site. I've gotten a ton of fish from them and they have all survived. She even mailed me 6 Panda Corys (notoriously bad shippers) a few weeks ago when there was 120 degree heat index and they all survived and are happily swimming around as we speak :). They're kind of like this websites own personal fish store.

thanks AQUA... that is what i hoped when I joined and so far your spot on!!!

ECO.. thank you for the heads up... I will be checking their classified tonight ....

Let me ask another question... I am interested is using live plants in the new tank i plan to get... I have heard alot about their benfits to the tank as well as some additional maintenence required. I was also told that snails could take over the tank if they are brought over on the plants purchased.. what the deal with this?

I've gotten most of my plants from eBay and there have been no issues there. I know that petsmart has some in containers that are "snail free". Plus you could always have the person check for snails when you buy them, a lady at the store did this for a confused person in front of me because she knew that they'd take over:) Sometimes pet store employees can be great, just watch them before you buy the plants to assure that you get the best plants;)

The secret is a h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) dip. Swish plants around in a 100% solution for 30 seconds, then rinse the plants off in the sink. It kills the snails and can also be effective with destroying pathogens plants can bring in.

Also look into your lighting if you plan on doing a planted tank. There aren't a ton of plants which grow with stock lighting. Check out http://www.plantgeek.net/ for some ideas of what will work.

sweet! thank you.. i will check it out! where can I find this classified section you mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom